Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 09:23:31 -0400
Hello to all out there!

This is my first post on the internet (ever!) so, if by chance I am asking
the wrong questions or something, please inform me!

I have two fuzzies - Thelma and Louise.  (yes, I know, from the movie, but
what the heck - they are sisters and are an absolute joy to have around).
Mind you my two cats (J.D. and Oscar) don't happen to think so.

How did I acquire these fuzzies?  To make a long story short - I found out
about them at the Humane Society Walkathon in Ottawa, Ontario.  I had always
loved them (as I love ALL animals) but naturally, didn't really know much
about them.  So, I found out that the "person" who owned them had decided
that they were just too much work and was going to have them put down if
someone didn't take them off "their" hands ASAP!

I called this person, and was a pretty angry with them, (I mean, when you
buy a pet, it's for life right - I know I know - and this person was older,
not a kid, and I thought to myself, if you can't handle the responsibility
of 2 pets, how the hell do you manage to get through life everyday?  Pets
are a snap compared to some of the people I encounter out there!!) So we
determined that "they" would bring them to my house and then I would go
shopping for a cage with this person - remember I had almost no knowledge
about these furry little creatures!  Thus, Thelma and Louise entered my
life - I changed their names because this person told me that they were not
intelligent enough to understand you when you called them - (also, they were
NOT responding to the names they were given).  Well, SuperPet and I have
become fast friends, and I get a great discount everytime I go there - 2
cats and 2 ferrets !!  - you figure out the math!!  Needless to say, I did
not realize that ferrets sleep MOST of the day and so I bought them the
ferret deluxe playpen for their "home".  It is 5.5 feet high, and 3.5 feet
wide and deep.  (I think I got that right - math is not my best subject)
anyways, it's more than enough as I later found out from the vet!!

So, there are Thelma and Louise having a field day in their new home (I
found out the cage they had before was an old aquarium with wood shavings -
disgusting!!)

But, all in all, the vet gave them a clean bill of health - however they are
much smaller than the ones I see in the pet store!!  (like half the size!!)

So, now I have a couple of questions for all you ferret experts out there:
(In case you are wondering, I have LOADS of books on ferrets, so I am no
longer ignorant about them - and besides, you learn as you go because one
discovery does not cover all ferrets!!)

1 - What kind of "people" food can I feed to them.  Thelma (silver mitt
albino - if I am not mistaken - description: white and silver with pink
eyes - any other ideas if I am wrong?) is the most fussy eater I have ever
seen in my life.  She only like Nutrience cat food (or Science Diet) and her
pounce.  But, she LOVES raisins.  Of course I have to be careful with the
quantity of raisins the little devil gets.  I have found her cache of
raisins now, so I have finally figured out why she had the "runs" the last
day or so!!  (I hadn't been giving her any because I ran out and she had the
runs - no change in diet or anything - and then I find her under my bed
eating her little pile of raisins!!  Louise is a beautiful sable with a
really soft coat.  She eats ANYTHING.  She has stolen some of my croissant,
my zucchine bread, she loves anything she finds on the floor - including my
cat's tail!!  So any ideas on what else I can feed my little critters would
be much appreciated.

2 - My ferrets are quite small compared to the ones I see in the pet stores.
They weight about 2 - 2.5 pounds.  They are 2.5 years old - they were at the
vet in April for all of their shots, and he told me they were perfectly fine
and in great health.  He does specialize in ferrets - I had someone in
Ottawa who has 10 of the little devils recommend him to me.  So if anyone
has any ideas, I'd love to hear from you.

Time to go, and I love all the news I hear from everyone.

Marion
learning more and more and loving them more and more