From:
Shari Diane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 14:22:21 -0400
My 3.9 yo female MF fert, Gina, had right gland Adrenalectomy surgery two
weeks ago.  Pathology report is back, and the pathologist's report says that
the nodules removed from her spleen indicate possible Lymphosarcoma.  The
vet has advised me to have Gina's blood calcium checked in 4 weeks, and
every 6 months to watch for count level changes.

On a similar note:
Interesting reading from Ferrets Anonymous' September 97 issue.  "Cancer in
Ferrets" article (pg.  6) suggests that cancers are more prevalent in
American ferrets due to lack of genetic diversity rather than early
altering.  My vet agrees.  This vet found numerous tumors, 3 were different
kinds, plus enlarged spleen, pancreas, swollen lymph nodes, etc.  in a 6 yo
female MF fert Monday - this is very unusual in any animal species, I'm told.

In brief, how do we check (or change) gene pool diversity of large breeders?

Shari Gunter
Triangle Ferret Lovers, North Carolina