Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 1997 14:29:45 -0400
Hello Josef!

>Although he is a really cute animal we have already experienced some
>problems.  Most likely things you guys have a lot of experience from.
>Problemo numero uno is.... not all that suprising.... biting.  At first it
>wasnt really that hard but as he is growing he has now started to bite
>harder and harder.

Go to the nearest "Helsokost butik" and buy a little bottle of "Tea Tree
Oil", (about 100kr).  Then apply this oil on your fingers and wherever you
little ferret likes to nip.  I can guarantee that he will not like the taste
of this Tea Tree oil.  It got a much stronger and more bad tasting flavor
than BitterApple.  For all you English speaking people, "Helsokost butik" is
a store where you buy only health products, no artifcial or dangerous
products there )

One thing to remember is if that Elvis is only 12 weeks old he is still baby
and he will love to play/nip.  If the breeder did not nip train him at an
early age it will take some extra work from your side.

>Also, another thing I have been wondering about is what kind of food I
>should give him.  Now I give him _the cat food_ pussi.  I suspect it is not
>the best thing to give him because he eats very much and also produces a
>lot in the "box".  Volume-vise that is.  What kind of dry cat-food should I
>give him?  I can not afford to give him special ferret-food since I am
>unemployed and really has no money.

Unforunally all catfood that is suitable for ferrets is quite expensive.  I
recomend that you get together with some other ferret owner in Uppsala and
buy a big bag of food since it's cheaper in the long run.  The better
quality of the food, the less your ferret needs to eat in order to get all
the nutriants.

>Something I have wondered about since we got this little cutie is - when is
>he going to calm down?  Seems perhaps as if I was not prepared for it, but
>I read a lot of books about ferrets and also visited the breeder.  I
>honestly thought that they could be calm for a minute or two.  Is that too
>much to hope for?

Ferrets usually calm down when they are about a year or two of age.  They
are all induviduals and some might as a matter of fact never calm down.
It's just the thing of having ferrets, you can't have a "normal" househould)
No more plants, no more open windows/doors, no more normal life in general)

>The cage we keep him in when we are not at home is another thing that I
>think about.  I worry that it perhaps is too small.  It is 1 x 0.5 m.
>Also, he keeps eating his house (;-)).  We made it from some shoe-boxes we
>had.  I dont know perhaps he is under-stimulated!?

Your cage 1 x .5 meter might be ok for now, but he will need a bigger cage
when he gets older and bigger.  You can get a large rabbit cage or make your
own cage out of wire and clips.  A good ferrethut is made out of wood since
it's heavy and durable.  A carboard box will only work for a day or two.

>-  How can I keep him from biting in cables?

Try putting some of that Tea Tree oil on the cables, or hide the cables.
Make sure you didn't buy a rabbit)

>-  What kind of kitty-litter should I use?

Best is wood pellets.  If you can, avoid using "cat sand" or other types of
clay litter, it makes them sneeze.

>-  Is there any ferret owners in Sweden who reads this?

Yes I think so  =)

>-  What kind of treats (that does not cause diarrhea) can I give my ferret?
>A couple of raisins a day, Bandit ferret treats, small pieces of cooked
>chicken.

Hope this helped you!

Myself & Nadine will be attending a big exotic pet expo in Copenhagen,
August 31 (this comming Sunday).  If you like to see many beautiful and very
unusual ferrets (plus a lot of ferret products) please stop by!=20

Lars Eriksson