From:
Don & Janice Boyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 1997 13:12:28 -0500
To everyone on the FML: I would like to bring to you the experiences of my
son's two ferrets because he asked me to do so.  He thought it may help
someone else's little one avoid tradgedy.  He and his wife are excellent
ferret parents with two beautiful girl ferrets age 2 and 3.  They are very
careful and their home is above average in ferret-proofing.

A short time ago, they had company (all their friends have been educated on
how to watch out for the girls) and in the course of the social gathering, a
lid was lifted on the ice chest (cooler for pop) and one of the girls
naturally had to put her feet up and look in it.  The lid suddenly came down
on her head accidently.  She was stunned and acted lethargic for a while.
During the night, she threw up a few times.  Their Mom is a nurse and was
certain that she may have suffered a concusion.  Their vet was consulted and
the little girl has made a full recovery -thank God.

The other girl had on occasion played with lamp cords and of course that
behavior was discouraged.  One day her Mom heard her thrashing about behind
the sofa.  When she got to her, she had gotten loose from the electrical
cord, but much of her hair stood out on her body.  She had bitten into the
wire on the cord.  She has also fully recovered, thank God.

I am told by a knowledgable friend that there are cord covers which may be
found at hardware stores possibily.  Something I plan to look into.  These
were freak accidents and we all should learn to watch for the unexpected
where our little fuzzies are concerned.

If someone would author a "complete" comprehensive, ferret-proofing,
ferret-safety book, or if someone has already and it is on the market, I am
interested!  I am willing to send a list of our experiences to whoever wants
to write the book in hopes of it becoming a reality and available to
everyone at a reasonable price.

NOTE: Right now--if you live in a state where your ferrets are NOT protected
by the law in the event of a bite or scratch incident (which is the majority
of them at this time) get active and try to change the laws.  Healthy,
adoptable domestic ferrets are being destroyed daily.  You will help save
lives and perhaps your own fuzzies life.  Have a plan.