From:
Shari Diane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 1997 11:47:12 -0400
Two weeks ago, I noticed minimal vulva swelling in my 3.9 yo female MF
fuzzlove Gina.  Last week, a pronounced swollen vulva with hairloss on the
tip of her tail was observed.  Monday, the vet confirmed my diagnosis ;-).
Adrenal Gland Tumor.  Surgery was Thursday.  The tumor was on the right.  In
the "old" days (last year), a right gland tumor was considered inoperable.
Dr. Bruce Williams, DVM reported in the FML Adrenal FAQ that this was no
longer true - the vena cava in the right gland *could* be ligated (tied-off)
and the tumor removed.  (FYI-both glands can be removed.)

Luckily for North Carolina ferrets, we have a vet that took the
time to research and confer with Dr. Williams about this information, and
has completed six (6) right Adrenal Gland Tumor surgeries this
Spring/Summer.  It is a 4 hour time consuming and technical operation.

Dr. Dan Hudson of Northwoods AH in Cary, NC will be the Guest Speaker at the
Oct. 18th meeting of the Triangle Ferret Lovers club.  Topic: Adrenalectomy.
He has offered to bring Gina's tumor for show and tell.  Not sure if I can
stomach that...

Are you lurking and considering purchasing or adopting a ferret?  Ask
yourself if you can unexpectedly afforded an estimated $300 (left gland) or
$500 (right gland) surgery.  If you already have a carpet shark, start
saving money - seriously.  Do you have a ferret shelter in your area?  Just
think if they have several surgeries scheduled...Could you make a donation
in care of their vet?

If you haven't already done so, download the FML Disease FAQs and distribute
to your area vets (TriFL members email me first).

Thank you!  to all that have inquired about Gina's health...your telephone
calls and emails really helped.

Shari Gunter
Triangle Ferret Lovers club, North Carolina
http://www.trifl.org