From:
Bob Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 1997 08:34:16 -0400
>From:    Michael Curry <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret Deaths
....... and found that the ferret had completely bled out into his lungs
>etc.  His liver looked abnormal but we were unable to locate any tumours or
>other obvios problems.  We dismissed it as a once off.
>
>Today we found another ferret in exactly the same way.

I'm very sad for your losses.

Aside from the liver (?) this is typical of the symptoms of berylium oxide
poisoning.  If the ferrets are exposed to clay, litter, or sand which
contains berylium oxide then this can occur.  I think it's called beryllia
also.  The lung bleeding is actually an allergic reaction, and all
individuals are not allergic.  These particles can also be released by
breaking certain ceramic like materials.  The material is often found in
radio power transistors and other high tech products where heat transfer is
important.  It is found naturally in beach sand and sea water and clay.  The
particles which might be large enough to see are too large to float in the
air, what you cannot see is where the risk lies.

Certain oriental cermic products are made from tainted ceramic..  beware the
broken food dishes, which could release particles in the air.  They're OK
unless broken.

Additionally, we humans are also at risk !!  though less are allergic.  If
you think I'm onto something, grab a face filter mask, and don't make dust.

Cheap clay litter, sometimes that which was intended for soaking up spills
of oil in garages, can contain traces of BeOxide..

To an allergic individual, one tiny particle is all that's needed, so the
amount isn't important, any trace inhaled is enough.

I hope this is another of the many times where I am wrong.

Bob