From:
Judith White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 1997 00:07:15 -0400
** Stop ** Take a moment ** Write a note ** Mail a dollar **

You can encourage and support the wonderful people who work so hard for the
ferrets we love by sending e-mail greetings, donating ferret gifts or
supplies, contributing to paying expenses, or volunteering for hands-on
help.  Contributions may be made directly to their vets to cover overdue
bills.

Jean Caputo-Lee, [log in to unmask]      Dr. N. Tulodziecki, "Dr.T"
Ferrets Unlimited Ferret Shelter    5522 Pearl Road
4116 Bucyrus Avenue                 Parma, Ohio 44129
Cleveland, Ohio  44109                   and
216/749-3885 home                   Dr. Wayne Turner
216/961-2577 work                   34910 Center Ridge Road
                                    North Ridgeville, Ohio  44039

Total ferrets in shelter:  14       Permanent residents:  2
Adoptable ferrets:  12              Being rehabilitated:  1
Sick or injured:  2                 Needing spay/neuter:  1
Needing vaccinations:  14 rabies
Needing sponsors:  1                Being fostered:  2
Adopted out this month: 4           Taken in this month:  6
Unpaid vet bills:  $0 - my past 2 paychecks covered the $425 I owed.

Wish List:

People who would like to adopt "Old Farts".  8 of the shelter kids
are 4 yo and up.

More time (couldn't we all use that); help on weekends with the kids.

Free copies of handouts for ferret ed days, and potential ferret parents.
(I get tired of supporting Kinko's, and at work they figured out who
made 3500 copies a couple months ago!)

Trish Curtis, [log in to unmask]      Dr. Tad Jarrett, DVM
Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter    210 N.W. 2nd Street
3801 Zion Hill Loop               Mineral Wells, TX 76067
Weatherford, TX  76088            817-325-2273

Branch shelter Carlsbad, NM, Eydie Fox, [log in to unmask]

The shelter is bursting at the seams with ferrets a the present time with
more fuzzies than I can count.  A few were adopted out, but the new
arrivals far exceeded this number.

Several surgeries were done in the last month.  The heat is awful here.
Since the number of ferrets is so high right now, I am going to need to
devote another room to the ferrets.  However, there is no AC in that room
so the shelter is desperately in need of a 5,000 btu (or larger) window
AC unit.  The roof is in need of repair as well, in fact I simply need to

replace it.  I am looking for metal roofing material at a bargain if
anyone can help or offer suggestions.

I'd also like to say *THANK YOU SPONSORS!!*

[Currently, I have several fuzzies looking for sponsors if anyone is
interested.]

Alicia Drakotes                   Dr. Donna M Harwood, DVM
    [log in to unmask]      Veterinary Housecall Services
Ferret Wise Rescue &              630 Court Street
    Rehabilitation Shelter        Keene, NH  03431
PO Box 561
Marlborough, NH  03455

Ferret Wise is now a specialized "critical care" shelter facility for
domnestic ferrets.  Ferret Wise assists in abuse and neglect investigations
and offers rehabilitation to ferrets acquiried by state shelter agencies.
Investigation and prosecutorial costs will be insurmountable.  Please
consider a donation to the investigation "fund".  A tax exempt shelter all
donations are tax deductible to the full extent of the law.

Currently assisting No Country Animal League in VT with a geriatric (seized
on neglect) adrenal patient.

Total ferrets in shelter:   14 / 22 half way house
Permanent residents:  12 shelter /  22 half way house
Adoptable ferrets:  1           Being rehabilitated:  2
Sick or injured:  4             Needing spay/neuter:  2
Needing surgery:  1
Ferret deaths this month:  1  advanced insulinoma
Being sponsored:  2             Being fostered:   11
Adopted out this month:  3      Taken in this month:  2
Unpaid vet bills:  $180         Unpaid shelter bills:  $800

Wish List:

nutrical, laxatone,  microwave (for warming up duck soup)

Troy Lynn Eckert,                 Dr. Larry Snyder
     [log in to unmask]     University Small Animal Clinic
Ferret Family Services            17th and Randolph
P.O. Box 186                        P.O. Box 4135
Manhattan, KS  66505-0186         Topeka, KS  66604
(913) 456-8337                    (913) 233-3185

Welfare ferrets/unadoptable/owners do what they can:  43
Needing new home: 1

Wish list:
Postage stamps, 1 cc syringes

Bev Fox, [log in to unmask]      Dr. Wayne Turner
North Coast Ferret Shelter          Animal Clinic Northview
32151 Lorain Rd. Lot# 17            34910 Center Ridge Rd
North Ridgeville, Ohio 44039        North Ridgeville, Ohio 44039
(216) 327-6729                      (216) 327-8282

Ferrets presently in shelter:  6    Permanent residents: 1
Adoptable:  4                       Ferrets being sponsered: 1

Sick or injured: 1  (Wally came into the shelter as a found ferret,
extremely dehydrated and malnourished and so weak he couldn't stand up.
The vet estimates he was less than 12 hours away from death when he came
to the shelter. He is gaining strength daily and despite his weakened
condition, he manages to struggle into the litterbox 100% of the time
and gives kisses every time he is held.)

Dayna Frazier, [log in to unmask]

Shelter is in the process of from CA to VA.  Only shelter and ongoing care
ferrets went with the shelter; ongoing adrenal studies continue and "mystery
cure" still holding despite moving stress.

Shelter ferrets being moved:  5
Permanent residents:  4            Adoptable ferrets:  1
Being rehabilitated: 2 adrenal ferrets plus Mittsie with a failed
                     immune system have been or are being rehabbed.
Being fostered: 17 semi-permanent fosters
Unpaid vet bills: $750             Unpaid shelter bills: $275

The cost of moving the medical equipment was very high.

Pam Grant, [log in to unmask]        Dr. Roger Hart
THE FERRETS OF PET PALS              Kingsview Animal Hospital
Ferret Placement & Referral Service  7434 Beulah St
P. O. Box 1714                       Alexandria, VA  22310
Springfield, VA  22151-0714          703-971-9292

Total ferrets in shelter:  21        Permanent residents:   13
Adoptable ferrets: 9 (5 are spoken for but have yet to be picked up)
Needing spay/neuter:   4             Needing surgery:  1 adrenal
Adopted out this month:   1          Taken in this month:   5
Unpaid vet bills:   $250 (paid with own funds so vet actually is paid)
Unpaid shelter bills:   fine

Wish List:
More foster homes in Northern VA & Md.
Adopters for the four lovely ferrets here - all under a year.

Michael Janke, [log in to unmask]   Dr. Mary Chavez, DVM
South Florida Ferret Club          South Kendall Animal Clinic
   and Rescue, Inc                 9501 S.W. 160th Street
P.O. Box 570927                    Miami, FL 33157
Miami, FL 33257-0927               305-238-2030
305-251-8647
305-378-0898 (fax)

Ferrets in shelter:  125    Number available for adoption varies

Wish List:
A/D, Gerbers 2nd stage Chicken or Turkey baby food, paper towels

Carolyn Kinsey, A.S.V.T.          Dr. Bill Wilhoit, DVM
   [log in to unmask]     BIJOU ANIMAL HOSPITAL
Ferret Rescue of the Western      2502 East Bijou
   States (Estab. 1991)           Colorado Springs, CO 80909
140 W. 29th St., Suite 191        (719)471-4457
Pueblo, CO 81008
(719)527-8004

Sorry we are behind on our statisics, but we would like people to know we
are still out here doing the job.

Chris and Shelley Knudsen,         Dr. Polly Lewis
   [log in to unmask]                 Hastings Animal Clinic
Legion of Superferrets of            2905 W. Hwy 6
   Nebraska Ferret Shelter           Hastings, NE  68901
614 N. Bellevue Avenue               402-463-9805
Hastings, NE  68901                  800-742-2697
402-463-0190

Total ferrets in shelter:  28        Permanent residents:  16
Adoptable ferrets:  10               Being rehabilitated:  1
Sick or injured:  3                  Needing surgery:  1
Adopted out this month:  1           Taken in this month:  8
Unpaid vet bills:  $489

Wish List:  More time in the day

Lisa Leidig, [log in to unmask]    Dr. P. Fisher/Dr. H. Hulls
Ferret Rescue of Tidewater         Petcare Veterinary Hospital
2312 Starfish Road, #301           5201-A Virginia Beach Boulevard
Virginia Beach, VA 23451           Virginia Beach, VA 23462

Total ferrets in shelter:  18      Permanent residents:  6

Adoptable ferrets:  6              Sick or injured:  2
Needing surgery:  2 (adrenal)      Needing sponsors:  6
Adopted out this month:  4         Taken in this month:  7
Unpaid vet bills:  $0, but surgery is scheduled for August
Unpaid shelter bills:   $150.00

Wish List:
Fervac, Food (Iams kitten and Totally Ferret)

Karen Marsh-Lovvorn              Dr. Stephanie Dalyrmple, DVM
    [log in to unmask]               (shots/check-ups)
Rogues Gallery Ferret Rescue     Dr. Charles Ward, DVM
700 Whitby Court                     (diagnostics/advanced care)
Durham, NC 27703

Total ferrets in shelter:  0     Permanent residents:  6
Taken in this month:  7          Being fostered:  7
Adoptable ferrets:  7
Unpaid shelter bills:  $200

Wish List:

Rogues Gallery has been closed for several months.  When we reopen in
October we'll need new cages, food & basic medical supplies.

Christine & David Mathis         Kimber Brawley, DVM MS
[log in to unmask]              Companion Pet Clinic
Oregon Ferret Shelter            3150 NE 82nd Avenue
17560 S Holly Lane               Portland, Oregon  97220
Oregon City, Oregon  97045       503-252-1601
503-557-8369

Total ferrets in shelter:  157 residents + 18 boarders, 31 kits
Adoptable ferrets:  45          Being rehabilitated:  11
Sick or injured:  3 awaiting adrenal surgery due to funds
Needing spay/neuter:  10 neuters and 6 spays
Needing vaccinations:  0  but vaccination supply running very low
Needing surgery:  3 adrenal
Outstanding vets bill at this time is  $565

Chere McCoy, [log in to unmask]      Dr. Brenda Ernest, DVM
Ferret Friends of                 Westside Animal Hospital
  Indian River County             1795 10th Avenue
8775 20th Street, Lot 614         Vero Beach, FL  32960
Vero Beach, Fl 32966

Total Ferrets in Shelter = 23     Permanent Residents = 5
Adoptable Ferrets = 18            Being Rehabilitated = 1
Sick or injured: Cancer or Insolumina = 8,
Ferrets over 9 years old = 2,  1 Blind Ferret.
Needing Vaccinations:  4          Needing sponsors = 18
Being fostered 5 (at "Ferret Camp" with Mike and Lynn Camp),
3 with Sue Lyons                  Total Fostered = 8
Adopted out this month:  2
Taken in this month = 4 (1 confiscated, 1 from VB Humane Society,
                         2 turned in by parents)
Found and returned to parents = 1
Unpaid Vet Bills = $650.00

Wish List:
Pillow Cases, Sheets, Interceptor Heartworm preventative
(Brown for 3-5 pound animals)

Stephanie Mudgett,                Dr. Steven Caffrey, DVM
    [log in to unmask]          Fryeburg Veterinary Hosp, PA
Ferret Services of Freedom        5 Pine Street
RR 1, Box 1592                    Fryeburg, ME   04037
Freedom, New Hampshire  03836

Total ferrets in shelter:  10     Adoptable ferrets:  3

Sick or injured:  7               Needing vaccinations: 3

Wish List:  Nutrical, Ferretone, Laxaire

Julianna Quadrozzi, ferretdiva@mind
GA Domestic Ferret Association

Total ferrets in foster homes:  23 (and 6 waitlisted to come into care)
Permanent residents:  4+ (unless someone wants wonderful older fuzzies)
Being rehabilitated:  3 biters     Adoptable ferrets:  20 ?
Sick or injured:  2                Needing vaccinations:  3
Needing surgery:  1                Needing sponsors:  1
Adopted out this month:  2         Taken in this month:  5

Wish List:
More people who think before aquiring a pet;
More people taking responsibility for their now unwanted pets;
Fewer people dumping pets for convenience;
More good parents wanting to adopt;
More people getting involved to help raise the standards for ferrets.

Judith Sanders, [log in to unmask]     410-850-0143

Total ferrets in shelter:  4

Permanent residents:   12, including retired breeders.
Adoptable ferrets:  4

Wish List:

I need someone who is willing to take on a challenge and take two young
nippers off my hands.  As I prepare to move, I just don't have time to work
with them, yet I remain convinced that their feisty ways can be changed.  If
someone contacts me and mentions this list, I will waive the usual adoption
fees.  However, this must be a mature person, experienced with ferrets, who
is truly willing to work with these gals.  Both are attractive, under one
year old, spayed, and good on all shots until next year.

       Hope to hear from you,  I am just south of Baltimore, MD

Megan & Mike Scott                 Dr. Zeitlin, DVM
[log in to unmask]                    VCA Lake Worth
Ferrets in the Sun Club & Rescue   3401 2nd Ave. N.
18F Crossings Circle               Lake Worth, FL 33461
Boynton Beach, FL
561-735-7879

Total ferrets in shelter:  15      Adoptable ferrets:  9
Permanent residents:  4            Being rehabilitated:  2
Sick or injured:  2 - Adrenal / Insulomnia
Need sponsors:  4                  Taken in this month:  3
Unpaid vet bills:  $350            Unpaid shelter bills:  $250

Wish List:  Baby food, Cages, People to be involved in the club.

Stephanie Sheme                    Dr. Joseph Bock, DVM
  [log in to unmask]               Adobe Animal Hospital
Ferrets Etc                        4660 Table Mesa Drive
4339 S. Galapago St.               Boulder, Colorado
Englewood, CO 80110                (303) 494-4344

Total ferrets in shelter:  More than I can count - 60ish I think
Permanent residents: 10 or so
Adoptable ferrets: 20              Sick or injured: 8
Being rehabilitated: many many many
Needing surgery: 8 adrenals, one huge tail tumor
Ferret deaths: we lost 10 in July due to sttange black diarrhea
Being sponsored:  4
Needing sponsors:  all the old guys need foster parents - 20ish
Adopted out:  4            Taken in:  40 in July and 6 so far in August
Unpaid vet bills:   $500.00          Unpaid shelter bills: 350.00

Wish List:
Any help, I might have to stop taking ferrets in for a while.
I have way too many and no help.  It is very hard to run a shelter at
7 months pregnant by oneself.  Seems no one wants to adopt old guys.

Sheena Staples, [log in to unmask]
PO Box #3
4607 Kingsway
Burnaby, B.C.
V5H 2B3
pager number 1-604-601-4883

Total ferrets in shelter:  6       Permanent residents:  2
Adoptable ferrets:  5              Sick or injured:  1
Needing spay/neuter:  1            Needing vaccinations:  2
Needing surgery:  1                Being fostered:   1
Unpaid shelter bills:  $300.00

Wish List:
Just homes for our rescued fuzzies.  They're almost all silvers / silver
mitts and great ferrets.  One was an elderly stray never claimed :-(  Most
of them are under 2 years old and lots of fun.  So anyone who's looking for
a fuzzy in the GVRD should really give us a call.

Mark Zmyewski, [log in to unmask]
Cloud Nine Ferrets
P.O. Box 4271
Huntsville, AL  35815
Heath Niehaus (205) 885-0105
Donna Tarbell (205) 885-0105
Mark Zmyewski (205) 536-6348

Total ferrets in shelter:  4
Permanent residents:  3 biters, but willing to adopt them to
                      experienced ferret owners
Adoptable ferrets: 1 or 4, depending on how you interpret the above
Needing vaccinations:  all 4 need rabies vaccination