Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 1997 21:57:11 -0400
Just thought I'd throw in my two *scents* worth in the continuing litter box
debate.

All four of my ferts have a 100% *hit* rate when using the litter box in the
cage.  Out of the cage is a whole 'nother story.  Read on...

My two males, Cocoa and Peanut have a much higher (about 98%) hit rate in
the litter box than the two ladies, Fuzzy and Cookie.  The guys give Mama
heart tremors, though, when they're doing the *litter box shuffle*.  You
know, it kinda goes like this: run fast for the box, hop in, sniff-sniff,
spin around and backup simultaneously, head raised up for the mid-air stare
and mouth gaped open, wiggle butt, change mind and run to another box and
repeat.  Mama occasionally follows this up with the *wet willy* inspection
and tissue wipe.  Rear foot pads sometimes get checked for *crusties*.

Fuzzy has about a 65% *hit* rate.  She's a real neat freak and much prefers
a *fresh* box to go in.  If the box has even one doody in it, Fuzzy ends up
right next to the box on the newspaper.  Of course, if Mama is aware of her
urges and keeping close watch, a warning of "Fuzzy better be a good girl"
results in a box hit.

Cookie, my other female, rarely hits the box outside of the cage.  She's a
bit of a scaredy ferret and tinkles at loud noises.  One must always be on
the lookout for one of Cookie's little calling cards.  She leaves small,
singular *poos* in no place in particular.  Thank goodness she isn't a giant
hob with this affliction.  I can't be mad at her though, she's so cute and
cuddly.  Cookie's a real sweetie.

Peanut, not only good at his *hits*, but occasionally assumes the *fast
exit* stance.  I call this the "Paws Pause".  This position consists of
having his front feet up on the high edge of the litter box while doing his
business.  Great for getting out of the box in a hurry during those *early
morning* litter box crowds.  Cookie has been known to use this position on a
few of her rare litter box visits, also.

I use many boxes, one per room, and Yesterdays News litter.  I cover the
bottom of the box and dump the cage box completely twice a day.  Other boxes
are dumped as needed.  I rarely scoop, usually dump.

As for the way ferrets smell, I personally have never thought "root beer"
when smelling their tails.  Reminds me more of mothballs.  In general, my
fuzzbutts exude "nachos with cheese", or "tacos", or "popcorn" or
occasionally "burnt toast" essence, all on different instances.