From:
Sue Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 1997 22:01:19 -0400
Thanks to all who wrote; I'll get around to answering personally, I
promise.  :) Simply have had a busy weekend, and not much time to do the
mail thing.

At any rate, Jake (nee Bandit) has been progressing quite well the past
week.  We decided to remove the legs from the couch, even though he liked
sleeping under there - it made it too easy for him to make a getaway when
caught doing something he shouldn't in a place he oughtn't (and besides,
he'll now be easier to grab in case of an emergency.) We substituted a large
blanket for him to sleep on instead, and put it next to the couch against
the wall.  He took to it right away ..  and upon his first waking from the
new bed, went straight to his box to do his thing.  Simple as that.
Fortunately, that also coincided with my getting a bottle of Ferretone
(which I had to call all over the city for.  It seems most places carry it,
but are currently out of stock.)

As for treats, he hates everything - but the Ferretone.  Raisins?  Bah.
Bananas?  Pooh.  Peanuts?  Well, he'll take one ..  if he's in the mood.
But he went NUTS for the Ferretone.  Even tried to eat the spoon.  I tried
some - being curious as to what's so great about it ... it smells nice, not
unlike vanilla extract - and well, it doesn't taste like anything.  Beats me
why they like it so much.  But it works as a reward, so now when he uses his
box, he gets a couple of drops of that.

Anyway, I think perhaps his sleeping under the couch might've short
circuited his sense of direction - now that his bed is right next to the
box, pretty much, he knows where it is.  He might not have liked the cheapo
litter I had at first, either - the same day, I had also switched types on
him.

In any event, life's going to be a mite easier now that the bathroom wars
are mostly done with (save one wet accident earlier), and thanks to all who
wrote.  I'll likely be mostly lurking, but I'll stay subscribed for more
tidbits of info.