Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 1997 09:03:56 -0400
From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Many people lately have been posting to the list that they need to find new
homes for their fuzzbutts for one reason or another.  I am not going to take
a position on that one way or another at this point in time.  What I would
like to do is suggest something else.  Often, a decision is made due to what
seem like overwhelming personal issues which erupt with all of us from time
to time.  Illness, family situations such as a new addition, marital issues,
and a second job are often mentioned.  However, I have spoken with many
people several months after they have given up their pets, and many now
regret doing so.  The issues which were affecting the situation at the time
have abated themselves.

There is another option that I don't think everyone neccessarily thinks of.
That is long term boarding.  Most ferret shelters will board long term.
Many will even work out an arrangement with you if money is an issue.
Perhaps you could help out in the shelter cleaning cages and the like.  Or
maybe you could help with fundraising activities.

I recently did a long term boarding for a ferret who's owner was in a bit of
a legal thicket.  When the situation resolved itself, she reclaimed her
ferret.  She had brought food with her, and I only asked for the cost of the
distemper vaccine I gave the ferret before it went back home.  She made a
$30 contribution to the shelter.  The ferret was here for about a month.

I am currently boarding three ferrets for someone who had a serious illness
and death in the family, and then had to leave the country to tend to family
matters.  Again, they came with food, litter, bedding, cages, nutrical, so I
will ask no fee.  This person already does a huge amount of fundraising work
for shelters.

It is just a thought.  If after a few months the owners still have not
worked out their situation, and they have thought a bit more about it, they
can let the shelter know to make the ferrets available for adoption.

-Mrs. Duck