Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 1997 19:45:16 -0400
From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply to: Sad Ohio update

I am sorry to report that the Beavis, the Lorain County ferret, has been
ordered turned over to a local vet's office for kill and testing.  We tried
to transfer ownership of the ferret to our shelter so the county would be
forced to come after us rather than the ferret's original owners, but they
made it clear they would try to prosecute them as well as us.

As in the Lake County case, the wishes of the victim (a cantankerous old
man) were of overriding importance to the health department.  It would not
be so if Beavis were a dog or cat.

Fortunately, this news did not reach the owners (who for some reason weren't
answering their phone) or myself (who had custody of Beavis and was
screening calls through voice mail) until late in the afternoon.  By the
time I called the vet and explained that I would not be able to deliver the
ferret until near closing time, the vet agreed it would be better to bring
her in Monday morning.  A quick call to the health department got their
approval.

Beavis went home this evening to spend a couple last days with her family.
They are required to turn her in first thing Monday morning.

The voice number for the Lorain County Health Department is 216-322-6367.
Their fax number is 216-322-0911.

Once again, my thanks to all of you for your support, calls and faxes.

Linda Iroff
North Coast Ferret Shelter
http://www.oberlin.edu/~liroff/ncfs.html