Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 14:33:02 -0400
From:
Anthony Sena <[log in to unmask]>
I usually don't post to the FML, but I figured that Bob's eloquent rantings
deserved a reply.  Bob, I wholeheartedly agree with you.  A national ferret
organization needs to be formed.  It has gotten to the point that I don't
take my ferrets out anymore for fear of an incident occurring.  In the past,
when I did take my ferrets into public places, I got a mixed reaction.
Almost all people think that ferrets are rodents.  Frequently, I would hear
comments such as, "don't ferrets bite?", and "aren't they vicious?".
Weather the person I was talking to was repulsed, or actually thought my
ferret was cute, one thing I could count on was ignorance.  The general
population hasn't a clue about ferrets.  Two responses can stem from that
lack of knowledge; Curiosity or Fear.  I hate to tell you, but I have seen
more fear than curiosity.  One woman actually threatened to call the police
on me because I was taking pictures of my ferrets on a public playground
near her children.  Until that ignorance is removed, you can forget about
ferrets ever achieving the "socially accepted" status that dogs and cats
enjoy.  The public must be educated, and this should be one of the primary
goals of a national organization.

I am tired of hearing my ferrets referred to as vicious, wild, or rabid.
I'm sure all of you are too.  Put aside your petty bickering, and
concentrate on the real issues; Education, Legalization everywhere in the
US, and an accurate, universally accepted Rabies shedding period.  Until the
truth about ferrets reaches the public, nothing is going to change.

Crank up the Mettalica Bob.  It's going to be a long road.

Regards,

Anthony, Buzz, Snoots, and P.J.