From:
Ronnie DiComo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Oct 1997 07:07:22 -0400
>I've heard about marshal ferrets being sold to labitorys and that is kind of
>aginst my standards, I don't want to support a company that does that.  So
>how can I find a ferret in my area that isn't one of these marshal ferrets?

yes I agree; my personal solution is to adopt one from a shelter.  Even if
it is a MF ferret, you are not directly supporting them, you are supporting
the shelter and giving a home to a very deserving ferret.  5 of my 6 are MF
shelter or rescue ferrets and they are wonderful.

***
I picked up a ferret from a rather hysterical person last week who very much
wanted to get rid of a biting ferret (they adopted this ferret from someone
else who didn't want her).  Yes, this ferret did bite.  She is the tiniest
MF female I have ever seen.  The first day or so she did bite--and hard--but
it was obvious she was afraid.  After she realized she was safe, she stopped
biting the humans.  Next, the intro to some of my gentler ferrets.  Same
reaction, she bit them and retreated, only she screamed too.  The first day
I kept her separated, but when I tried again, she was a bit better, and
within another day or so, she seemed to be ok, and I found her sleeping with
Ralph.  It took a while, but now she plays with Roxanne.  It was delightful
to see her relaxed enough to finally dance around and dook.

I worry for the biters.  I think many of them are very frightened in
stressful or new situations, and they bite to protect themselves.  Then they
end up being caged more, which of course makes everything worse, or
abandoned, or passed to different owners, or killed depending on the state.

I can't say enough for educating prospective owners about the needs of
ferrets.  Even going down to a local pet store once a month or so to do a
ferret awareness day would help greatly.  Ferrets always draw a crowd, and
it is a good way to educate people.  Also, the mini-version of Pam Greene's
*excellent* FAQ is a very valuable resource.

--Ronnie DiComo

And now from Harry...
Ralph and me got 2 new sisters last week!!!  Merlin and Prince Charming are
too rough, so they are not allowed to play with them, but the girls live
with me and Ralph.  Roxanne is the most beautiful ferret I ever seen.  She
is almost as big as me!!  she is brown (like me) but she has a white face
with freckles, and a white chin, and one white toe, and white knees, and a
beautiful pink nose!!!  She came from a shelter 'cause someone didn't want
her!!  She bounces higher than anyone and bites ankles, too.  I love
Roxanne!!

Petunia is the tiniest ferret you ever seen.  She is a sable like me and
Ralph but she is very tiny!  When she first came she bit us and screamed a
lot.  Now she is okay and doesn't do that anymore 'cause she knows we won't
hurt her.  I'm glad Roxanne and Petunia came to live with us 'cause everyone
needs a home and friends who love you.

--Harry ("can I please have a banana now?")