From:
Lisa Leidig - Ferret Rescue of Tidewater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 19:19:19 -0400
Hi everyone!

Well, I am behind again on the FML (as always, it seems!) and I finally dug
my way out from under all of the stufff that keeps me away!

First: I remembered why it is I only give distemper shots while the vets
office is open!  You guessed it, I had a reaction!  It started all too
innocently, two rescues needed their boosters, so I come home from work, and
premedicated the ferrets in question with pediatric benadryl.  While I am
waiting, I mix the vaccine and watch the clock.  30 minutes later, I fix a
plate of ferretone, get a towel for the counter, and grab my first "victim".
Shot one finished (In case anyone is interested, it was in the shoulder area
and the shot administered was Fervac-D), put that ferret back in the cage,
get victim #2.  Second shot given, update the shot records, peel the label,
file the records, and begin watching the ferrets.

I swear it was 30 minutes on the nose from time of vaccination to reaction --
first diarreah, followed quickly by vomiting.  BANG!  get the keys, the
carrier & the checkbook and off to see the vet!  It was a moderate reaction,
in between periods of vomiting, she was bright, alert and active.  At the
vets, she got her shot to counterreact anaphylactic shock and some sub-q's
for good measure.  Now, before anyone second guesses me, I give a lot of
shots every year, and this is only the first absolutely known reaction I
have seen.  I simply can not afford to take the animals to the vet and pay
$20.00 for the vaccine, and then $25.00 for the exam.  This is not to say
that the average person SHOULD not take their ferrets to the vet -- only
that in my case, being a shelter and seeing at least 75 ferrets a year, it
is more feasible for me to give my own shots, than it is for the vet to give
all the shots for the rescue.  I reserve that for the ferrets in fragile
condition, or in Trella's case, a known reaction ferret.  But my situation
is a little different than the average ferret owners.....I see a lot that
are overdue for shots, so I am giving a booster, than the vaccine, plus
quarantine.

It just goes to show you (as Roseanne Rosannadanna used to say), if its not
one thing, its another! Remember, when getting your shots, stay at the vets
for at least a 1/2 hour! it could save your fuzzy's life!

So if someone could email me privately, I lost the # for the US Dept of
Agriculture -- I had it once (I think it was in the same pants pocket as my
brain......and I lost them both).  I want to report this, I have already
reported to United Vaccine.

Happy Ferreting!

Lisa