From:
Ronny Callewaert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 1997 20:57:41 +0000
>Javelyn R Baylis wrote:
>I talked to a breeder who has kits, 12-weeks that are descented/neutered,
>shots up to date, however, he recommended I consider a younger (6-week old)
>intact animal because of my children.  My worry is would a 6-week old
>require special care (dietary, etc.) and is that too young for a kit to be
>taken from its mom?  Eventually I would have it descented/neutered is
>12-weeks too young for this surgery and does it affect the size of the
>ferret?

With young children your better off taking a somewhat older ferret that is
already trained not to nip.  There are plenty of friendly fuzzies looking
for a new home and most of them are already descented/neutered.

Six weeks is really to young to remove them from the mother.  I live in
Belgium/ Europe and over here they only descent/neuter ferrets when they are
at least six months of age.

I wonder if this surgery on such a young age (12 weeks of less) causes the
many developments of tumors and such in ferrets in America and other
country's?  I talked to different vets about this and they all seem to think
so.

Ron & Antje Callewaert
Have a nice day!