From:
Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 1997 08:24:35 -0400
J'ames wrote:

>try contacting your State Veterininarians, in Vermont, there at the
>Department of Agriculture.

Dr. Clifford McGinnis is NH director of the Dept.  of Agriculture... Valerie
mentioned earlier in her post that he, Dr. McGinnis, had been contacted and
sent a rep.  to investigate.  The unfortunate results are they see nothing
wrong with ferrets bedded on pine with nothing between them and the dust.
Thus no actions warranted.  Ethics and sales diplomacy don't get any
attention ( besides the state gets the $50 license fee!).

>Secondly...try the ferret organization, in New Hampshire: NHFOC, (New
>Hampshire Ferret Owners Coalition)

They are all aware and have been aware-- several key members cannot go into
the stores anymore-- thus a bargaining edge and investigative / education
factor has been lost.

>Last thing I can think of is a Animal Controll Officer that might be able
>to help..but surely can send you in the right direction.

Still it refers back to the dept. of agriculture-- no laws have been broken.

>usually I think local PR would be more powerfull espically when there
>would-be customers would be reading/see it.  Contact your local papers, tv
>statsion.  perhaps get them to do a story on it.  Write your state
>representives.

This is why I suggested a WRITE IN CAMPAIGN-- it is basically all that is
left-- unless someone can motiviate a hug amount of people to picket and get
the media involved..... anyone in the Nashua area ready for that challenge???

For anyone thinking about shopping at Debby's Petland , Nashua , NH - I
remind you "CAVEAT EMPTOR" - let the buyer beware ... here, at this store it
should be posted above the door!

Alicia
a ferret Mom who has seen the dim light at Debby's Petland.