Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 1997 18:40:32 -0400
>From:    Bob Martin <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: lung bleeding
>
>>From:    Michael Curry <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: Ferret Deaths

Just a slightly spammy, trivia mail for anyone interested.

Been lurking a lot lately, but saw something that really caught my
attention.  Bob mentioned broken ceramic dishes being a danger... especially
if the ceramic is tainted.  I felt the need to add some information about
ceramics, I've had a couple years experience working with the stuff.

Most food dishes sold in stores are not ceramic.  Though there are many
kinds of pottery type made from clay.  The information I'm writing does NOT
refer to corelle or any of the known dishes sold in stores.  It refers to
'homemade' or 'hand crafted' dishes and items you might get from your aunt
or a friend.  Since I do a lot of ceramics, and tend to give a lot away,
I've learned to be cautious.  Nor does it refer to porcelain as I don't have
much experience with it.

FOR CERAMIC FOOD DISHES If the dish is even chipped, it is dangerous, to
both human and animal as some ceramics have been known to have lead in it.
Also, if the glaze (the shiny coating) on the dishes is crackled, or looks
cracked, there is a health risk.  Also, pitted pieces (these look like tiny
bubbles that have formed and burst as the piece was fired, usually at the
bottom of a container) can be a health risk.  When we make ceramics for the
purpose of holding food, we have to use a special 'food safe' glaze
otherwise the glaze itself might have lead in it.  (Even when we fire with
food safe glaze, if the piece comes out crackled or pitted, we toss it)

OTHER CERAMICS
Most of the other ceramic glazes (the ones that are fired in the kiln) are
ok, though if a ferret developed a fondness for kissing and licking a
figurine, I might put it out of reach.  *grin* Spray on laquers or 'nail
polish' type glazes are not safe unless they specifically say 'food safe' or
something to that effect on the label.

Just a paranoid mom (both kids and ferrets) speaking her piece.  Feel free
to ignore.  :)

Caryn