From:
TwoSpooky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 1997 13:56:29 -0500
>From:    Shari Diane <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Adrenalectomy
*snip*
>Are you lurking and considering purchasing or adopting a ferret?  Ask
>yourself if you can unexpectedly afforded an estimated $300 (left gland) or
>$500 (right gland) surgery.  If you already have a carpet shark, start
>saving money - seriously.  Do you have a ferret shelter in your area?  Just
>think if they have several surgeries scheduled...Could you make a donation
>in care of their vet?

I've got to say, I agree with this wholeheartedly.  Please consider the
potential future cost of taking care of a pet -- *any* pet, really, but
ferrets, with their specific health problems, in particular -- before
committing to be owned by one.  You never know when a life-threatening
problem will crop up that demands immediate, and costly, attention.  We are
very lucky to have an understanding vet who is willing to let us carry a
balance!  Out of the blue in June we had three surgeries within two days
(AAACK!) and racked up a vet bill of right around $1,000... and we only have
five ferrets!  I can't imagine the vet bills of some of those folks on this
list who have many, many more.

-Tasha and the monster babies

"It has been said that man is a rational animal.  All my life I have been
searching for evidence which could support this."
                                        -- Bertrand Russell