From:
Melissa Litwicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 11:15:21 -0400
Easel has, to all appearances of poop and actual ferret, recovered from ECE.
And in under a week!  Waahooo.  The others are still fine, although Potpie
has a bit of loose stool.  That could be from being chased around by the
kitten constantly, however.

I've acquired and used a BLENDER in my Duck Soup preparation.  I must say
that it not only makes things much easier, but the sheer pureeing power
keeled me right over.  Now I know why baby food looks the way it does!

My new Duck Soup - all organic ingredients!

1 chicken breast
1 small zucchini
1 small carrot
3 cloves garlic

Take a stew pot and toss in the breast.  Add enough distilled water to
mostly cover the breast and bring to a boil.  Chop everything else up and
toss it into the pot.  Boil/simmer this for about 30 minutes.  While
continuing to boil, take out the chicken breast and strip the meat off the
bones (very easy at this point), chop the meat up a bit and toss it back in.
Throw away the bones.  Boil/simmer for another 30 minutes - I do this to
boil some of the water off until there's about 1/2 - 2/3 the original amount
of water.  You should have about a quart of 'soup' at the end.  I always
eyeball it so I always have different results. :)

Cool this off & pour into blender.  Puree.  Whzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.  Once it's a
nice smooth consistency add a can of vanilla Ensure and blend that in
lightly.  Pour out into preferred storage devices and serve.  :) It comes
out as a sort of applesauce-like consistency.

As desired, I add alfalfa sprouts or wheat grass to the soup mix.  Why do I
prefer to make my own 'baby food?' I dunno.  It's just as easy to buy baby
food and use that; however, this is cheaper, there are less containers to
dispose of, and you're completely in control of what goes into the baby
food.

Note: Some people have commented that garlic can cause GI upset & intestinal
bleeding (onions as well).  I have not seen this problem and add garlic for
its antibiotic & general health properties.  All of my ferrets have garlic
breath & all of them eat this stuff willingly - even Potpie The Finicky.  If
you have any doubts about garlic, however, exclude it or add Kyolic aged
garlic extract as appropriate after blending the soup.

Melissa

 ___ Melissa Litwicki __ [log in to unmask] ___
 By the whole newsgroup devoted tennis showing
     it after scarfing fork and laughters