From:
Sc Ellis-Blackwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Aug 1997 15:57:11 -0500
The post concerning disaster plans was a good reminder to review ours as we
don't do this often enough.  Our guys are in their cage for naps and
overnight.  Their cage is large enough to hold a small carrier.  We leave
the small door in the top of the carrier open and they often sleep in it
rather than their hammocks.  This should make it easier to gather them up in
an emergency.  We have 3 ferrets and 3 cats and I worry that we might not be
able to get them all out in certain emergency situations.  At night the
ferrets are downstairs in their cage, and the cats are usually upstairs with
us (their carriers are upstairs just inside a storage door).  We would
individually take resonsibility for the separate groups of animals.
Remember that if for some reason you cannot get to the carriers you can put
the animals into pillowcases and knot the cases.  (Sometimes I think I
should buy 30 carriers and stash them all over the house and car....)

A while back I had posted looking for advice for improving the lighting
conditions for my boys.  Alas, I received none.  I am still interested in
hearing of particular regimens or protocols people may follow, and really
any input is welcomed.  I won't repost my message concerning our conditions,
but if you would like to comment on it I will email it to you.

Thanks a bunch-
Shelly
(SC Ellis-Blackwell)