From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 08:34:28 -0400
First, yes, Seattle is very ferret freindly.

Secondly, not all carriers will take ferrets, and the rules vary from
carrier to carrier.  American, US Air and Delta seem to be the most
accomadating.

My story:
I flew non-stop (this is very important as it not only lessens the ferrets
cage time, but also the risk that the ferret will be misplaced.), fom
Philadelphia to Seattle in February with six ferrets.  Prior to leaving I
made reservations for the ferrets, and spent hours on the phone confirming
and reconfirming (and got names and titles of the people I taked to, as well
as noting dates and times) that this would be no problem.  I also got the
proper health certificates for each ferret.

I set the cages up so each had a hammock with bedding in it, and a litter
pan, food and water.  You can't hang a water bottle (besides the vibrations
would just cause it to drip horribly and make a mess), so I used crok-lok
bowls with about an inch in the bottom.  They all arrived with water still
in the bowl.  I also wrote a phone number in permanent marker on each cage-
in my case I used the number of a ferret shelter in my area that I knew
would take responsibility for the ferrets if somehow I got on the plane and
they didn't.  (one of the ferrets that went out with me belonged to this
shelter)

I arrived at the airport almost two hours prior to my flight.  The ticket
agent sneered at me and told me that I couldn't check the ferrets as
luggage, they would have to go cargo.  Nope- I pulled out all my paperwork
with names, numbers, dayes and notes, and told him that it had been cleared
by the following people...

He disappeared with the health certs and came back scowling about twenty
minutes later, but proceeded to check in the ferrets.

When we arrived in Seattle, the baggage clerk who brought out the ferrets
was also none too pleased, and he told me that I would have to ship them
back cargo.  They all came through the trip with flying colors.  A side note
here.  I used Benadryl to mildly sedate one of the ferrets before I checked
him.  This was on the orders of my vet.  Please check with your vet before
doing so.  Animals can have difficulty thermoregulating when sedated- and
you won't be able to help it in the air.  THe ferrets who were not sedated
seemed to have slept through the entire trip anyhow, and all were fine when
they landed.

The return trip was much easier.  I was the only person in line checking in,
and the ticket agent had a daughter who had been asking for a ferret.  I let
him hold one of them before I checked them.  They were very careful with
them, making sure the cages didn't tip or anything.  Before I boarded the
gate agents found me and told me that the ferrets were on board the plane
and in the center of the cargo area, away from drafty doors.  In Philly, the
baggage agent who brought the ferrets out after we landed also thought they
were "cute" and had a lot of questions.

By the way, I flew US Air.  Also, we figured out how to padlock the cages.
I have already posted this, but e-mail me privately for details.  Bon Voyage!

-Anne