Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 1997 18:11:33 -0700
>From:    "Todd P. Cromwell III" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: California Senate; Tyson Bite
>It amazes me that we're wrangling about Marshall Farms, yet today may be the
>last day we have to get letters mailed in time to affect members of the
>California State Senate Natural Resources and Wildlife Committee.

I know the feeling.  Seems like we've taken a back seat lately, doesn't it?
In all fairness, there's not a lot the FML can do about it.  CAns, get those
letters out ASAP -- the hearing's scheduled for July 8th so there's still
time.  Out-of-staters, encourage friends and family in CA to write the
committee members.  I know it's a pain, but at least ask them.  Here are the
addresses again:

Dede Alpert    (note: FA says she's fence-straddling, but is open-minded)
State Capitol, Room 2187
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 445-3952

Tom Hayden, Chair   (note: he's strongly pro-ferret)
State Capitol, Room 2080
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 445-1353

Maurice Johannessen
State Capitol, Room 5061
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 445-3353

Patrick Johnston
State Capitol, Room 5066
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 445-2407

Tim Leslie
State Capitol, Room 4081
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 445-5788

Dick Monteith     (note: pro-ferret)
State Capitol, Room 2048
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 445-1392

Jack O'Connell   ***(note: Senator O'Connell's vote is crucial)***
State Capitol, Room 5035
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 445-5405

Byron Sher     (note: pro-ferret)
State Capitol, Room 2054
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 445-6747

Mike Thompson, Vice Chair
State Capitol, Room 3056
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 445-3375

Those of you who write or phone, please be polite. See below.

>From:    alphachi <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Reply to Robert/Sheba/Marie/Swamp... re MF
>Why do feel MF cannot be persuaded to listen?  We never really tried.

I was unclear.  Rephrased: if we propose something resembling a scientific
study I believe they'll listen.  If our actions resemble a witch-hunt, they
won't.  We've seen how they react to hostility -- whether we like it or not,
they close their doors.  (Got more to say on this but it borders on AR and
I'm already taking up too much space.) :-x

In general, it's been my observation that ferret activists are
self-destructive.  They seem to have an uncanny ability to step on toes, and
they unfailingly use their ability on the people that can help them the
most... Drs. Jenkins, Hunter, and Bell, to name a few.  Then, when they're
done with the establishment they turn on each other, splintering a
potentially strong lobby into less effective parts.

On the bright side, I think we've seen the worst of the fractionalism, or at
least I hope so.  We'll always have personal differences, but we'll always
have common goals.  Changing policy at MF is certainly one of them as Alpha
Chi has reminded us.  So is legalization as Todd reminded us.  So is
quarantine as Kodo reminded us.

swamp

"Who, me officer? What's a ferut? These guys?? No, they're Polish cats."