From:
Melissa Litwicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 1997 16:45:52 -0400
I think we have some workable ideas here.  Ilena and Barbara suggested
microchipping - I know some shelters out there have good references on
microchip producers and scanners.  Can someone give me baseline numbers on
what it 1) costs to the consumer to microchip a pet 2) what it costs to the
producer to produce the chip and 3) what wholesale on chips & chippers might
be?  Microchipping would be *wonderful* except that I don't think it is
financially attractive.  If someone knows some numbers, though, I would love
to have those to send along in my letter to MF.

Regina suggested an alteration of the toe tattoo method.  That has a ring of
"there's no reason why they can't" to it, which I like - anyone else agree
on this besides us two?  :)

billk resp to alphachi:
>>Ask the people to pay for, conduct, and produce for MF research MF
>>should be conducting to assure the safety and welfare of MF practices?

>Its an unfortunate problem that those of the population who want affordable
>ferrets keep the price down in pet stores, they in turn keep the price down
>in the wholesale market.  Unless we can convince everyone that there is a
>problem that they should pay for there won't be money to

Good point - lots of US are willing to pay extra for our pets, lots of
non-FMLers are willing to pay extra for their pets, and many many more are
not willing to absorb an extra cost.  If the microchipping process is cheap
enough the market might absorb it; ferret prices are in the $120-$180 range
here still, just like they were when they were legalized in MI.  I haven't
seen the prices drop significantly here in those 3 years.  Even if the cost
of microchipping is only $10/ferret, the market might not take that hike.  I
am not an economist so I really can't say.

bill k:
>just decided to stop looking at the zillions (yes exaggeration since
>zillions isn't a real number) of references to tattoos in old Ferret

zillion IS a number; it's just a large, indeterminate one. *grin*

bill k:
>There is however a reasonable question as to whether the early operations
>cause an increase in probability of problems in this area.  Note carefully,
>an increase in probability not a certainty.  Most ferrets do not get
>adrenal tumors.  Not all adrenal patients are early altered ferrets either.
>There is something else involved.  Other theories involve unknown elements
>in the diet and un-natural lighting (household light as opposed to natural
>sunlight rhythms)....

Well, this goes right back to my original point - to see if MF is interested
in tracking this sort of health problems *in their ferrets*.  Sure, I am
implying that "just because they're MF ferrets, they have these problems."
But my main goal is to be helpful, positive and concerned.

The lighting thing, the ethoxyqin thing (btw there are plenty of non-eth
products out now), the early alter thing - the focus of a good scientific
study is to disprove a hypothesis and you do that by taking possible
interfering factors out, setting up a control group, etc.  You know, if MF
expressed an interest in working on this with some of us, I'd be glad to BUY
one of their ferrets, do a late (6mo) alter, and feed it only non-ethoxyqin
food.  You know, that would cost them ...well, nothing!  Lots of us (at
least 50) would probably be willing to participate.  It might be a
harebrained idea, but I'm an optimist.

alphachi:
>Let me share an observation of a rescue shelter:  OF THE APPROX.  150
>FERRETS, 1/3 had adrenal disorders.  Of the 150 ferrets, all with the
>adrenal disorders were identified as MF ferrets.  In fact, most

Unfortunately our observations provide little of scientific value, but they
DO provide us an incentive and an impetus to approach MF about conducting a
more formal study.  Statistically speaking, those numbers may be
significant, but scientifically speaking, each of those ferrets could have
been injected by evil scientists with adrenal disease-causing hormones
before they got to the shelter.  There's just no way to know or to rule out
other possible causes as factors.  Let's come up with a less "YOU'RE
RESPONSIBLE!" approach and first, find out if they have been doing any
studies, second, if they're interested [1], and third, if they are, how WE
can help THEM do this on the cheap for the benefit of everyone involved.

[1] If they're not interested, I'm hopping on the boycott wagon. :)

I think I will send my letter off next week then sit around waiting for a
response.  In no way am I trying to assume full control over this; if
someone else wants to send something I'd be glad to collaborate and
cross-reference names.  Otherwise, I will assume it's okay to say that I'm
part of a large community of ferret owners, many of whom are concerned about
this issue.  Please contact me if that seems inappropriate for me to say. :)
What I AM doing is trying to come up with a focused, reasonable, and
intelligent approach - which I need y'alls help with.

Melissa, Potpiova, Noodle-Noggin, Easelette, and Fridayina with special
circus-monkey guests, Sloanaroonie and Kokoli.

 ___ Melissa Litwicki __ [log in to unmask] ___
 By the whole newsgroup devoted tennis showing
     it after scarfing fork and laughters