Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 1997 17:29:36 -0700
Juliana Quadrozzi <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Subject: rabies testing question

>Can any experts tell me why this [raccoon] blood test isn't used instead of
>killing an animal to test brain tissue?

Because a negative brain tissue sample can absolutely guarantee that an
animal is not or never was rabid, or therefore isn't and *never was*
shedding, and that's what public health wants to know.  A blood test only
indicates that the animal has shown a serologic response to infection, and
that's what Cornell (the designers of the oral vaccine for raccoons) wants
to know.  Cornell is testing its vaccine, and public health is covering its
rear end.  Two different goals, two different tests.

swamp

"Who, me officer? What's a ferut? These guys?? No, they're Polish cats."