Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 1997 20:01:40 -0700
From:
Tyler and Brinyon Conboy <[log in to unmask]>
Hi all!
I am rather new to this list and to ferrets in general.  I am currently
having a problem with one of my newly adopted friends.

We just adopted our first two ferrets from the Oregon Ferret Shelter three
days ago.  The three year old sable seems to be doing just fine.  She is
playful and rowdy just like all the other ferrets I have seen.  The two year
old albino on the other hand seems down-right mean.  I haven't *ever* seen
him play, he just explores the house.  When I first got them if I let him
out of his cage for more than half an hour he would bite anyone who tried to
handle him (He was fine for the first half hour).  I am guessing that up
until now he lived most of his life in his cage.  (Now he just sleeps
there).  We've tried to modify this behavior by *lightly* tapping him on the
nose (to startle him and make him let go), yelling "NO!", and placing him by
himself in the empty cat carrier for aprox.  3 minutes.  He really seems to
hate this.  I also give him a treat when I pick him up and he doesn't bite
me.  Unfortunately none of this seems to be helping the matter, it only
seems to be making it worse.  Last night he attacked me during his play time
for no reason.  He came racing at me from across the room screaming and bit
into my calf and held on.  It kind of reminded me of a badger I accidentally
kicked when I was a kid.  The kind lady (Christine Mathis) at the shelter
told me this was a form of "culture shock" and to confine him down to a
smaller area, give him lots of attention and nutra-stat and continue with
the punishments and treats where appropriate.  (She also said if he didn't
get better within a week she would trade us for a new set of ferrets.  I
would rather work this out on my own, I'm kind of stubborn about not giving
up.)

I am writing this to all of you in hopes that you will either confirm or
deny this opinion, and possibly offer me new options.  (No insult intended
to Christine at the shelter, she's sounds very knowledgeable about ferrets.
I just don't completely trust anyone I don't know.  Especially with
something as potentially dangerous as this.  .).  I have a precious five
year old girl (human) that I need to look out for first.  Both ferrets need
to be a family pet (The sable loves to play with all of us although my
daughter doesn't handle any of them without supervision.) or they won't get
the attention they deserve and I will take them back to the shelter instead
of neglecting one of them.  If he will possibly get better, aprox.  how long
should it reasonably take before I see any results.  I don't mind putting in
the time if I know there is a "limit" and he will become a lovable pet,
after all I have put almost half a month's salary into them in the past
week.  Though his behavior does makes me wonder whether this is the best
house for him, the only thing that is constant around here is chaos.  And
although I feel guilty for saying it, I am having a hard time becoming
attached to an animal that gives me a new set of bite marks to admire every
day (though I do feel sorry for him).

Any advise anyone can give on this matter will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Ty Conboy
Corvallis, OR