From:
Elizabeth Cave <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 17:41:42 -0700
My Little Pooh had surgery for an insulinoma today about five hours ago.
The anesthetic used was isoflurane(sp?) and the vet (Dr. Amy Worrell) is
very experienced with exotics and birds.  She regained consciousness after
surgery, but is not moving around at all.  In addition, she bruised easily
during surgery.  The vet is speculating that perhaps something was amiss
with her liver that we had no way of knowing about.  Little Pooh is 7 years
old.  Has anyone had a ferret take a while to "recover" from surgery?  Does
anyone know if it's likely that she will just die or could she still come
around?  The vet is doing everything she can think of for support (IV
fluids, dexamethasone, warmth, etc.).  I don't know what to think and it's
killing me.  The staff will leave the office at 6 p.m.  and the last one out
the door will be about 8 p.m.  Then I won't know anything until 6:45 a.m.
Has anyone had a similar experience?  Any thoughts would be greatly
appreciated.

Elizabeth Cave