Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 13:17:56 -0500
My three rugratts live in a 8"X 12" enclosed area in the basement.  The
walls are made out of 2x4s and sheet rock....made just like a normal wall.
All 4 walls are about 2 1/2 - 3 feet tall and the ferrets have never been
able to escape.  Anyway, the floor is covered with a linoleum/rug
combination.  The rug (the kind used in office buildings) is placed in the
center of their area with the linoleum lining sections around the two litter
boxes.  If there is an accident it is simple to clean since it is on
linoleum.  Your ferret area doesn't have to be this big either.  A friend of
mine made one that is about a quarter of the size of mine, because she lives
in an apartment.  Her walls are made solely of wood and she put linolium
down for the floor.  The linoleum actually sits on top of her carpet so that
it would be protected from accidents and musky odors.  On both of our cages
a little door with a latch is present so that they have free roam of the
house when we are home.  I would recommend this type of set-up for anyone.
Plexiglass in my opinion should be avoided because of poor air circulation.

We both have two story condos in our cages made out of wood.  Of course my
friend's condo is a bit smaller, because she doesn't have as much room as I
do.  All of the ferrets love it and can get their exercise playing in
tunnels etc.  while we are working 8 hours a day.

     Melanie and the gang (Gizmo, Norman, and Moe)