From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 1997 10:20:47 -0400
STAR* was not set up to fight legalization battles or rabies issues, except
from the assistance side where facts and figures collected via the shelter
and rescue part of the "house" could support claims and statements of those
trying to change laws and restrictions.  Yet STAR* IS a
national/international organization, because without it's subscribers it
could not learn, educate others, grow and support, not to mention assist the
ferrets that find themselves homeless or abandoned.

STAR* also made a committment in 1991 when it was formed not to align with
any other ferret organization, just for the reasons mentioned for starting a
new group.  STAR* will never come under the direction of another group, but
will support all that ask for its assistance.

STAR* is too important to me, and the ferrets that fall under its care.  I
have always held that each ferret organization should take on a specialty -
one for legalization battles, one for shelter purposes (STAR*), one for show
purposes, another for education and club activities.... by concentrating on
one thing well, but by having groups covering all aspects, ferrets could be
better off.  But no, many groups need to do it all and have set themselves
up with monarchy to control the proceedings.  Yes, I run STAR*, am treasurer
and editor, but I'm not a power freak - STAR* is a newsletter, shelter
assistance, and information service, not a club.  Wait until everyone sees
what I'm doing about the Kodo incident - with my connection in the pet
industry, more people who know nothing will become alarmed and hopefully
move to change things when I get done saying my piece.  But I do this under
my own name, not the organization's.  I do have affiliations with other
ferret groups (AFA, LIFE, WFU, UFO, etc.), and they know Pam will
participate as she can, but I refuse to hold office or make commitments that
take me from the ferrets and STAR*.

Anyway, what all this is leading to is the idea of an all encompassing
ferret group is a grand pipe dream because that is the premise that EVERY
OTHER ferret group started out under, and see where they are now.  I give
Jeanne Carley's Ferret Legalization group the best chance of succeeding,
but they will not go national until CA is legal.  Like me, she has a very
focused agenda.

Good luck.

Pam