From:
Melissa Litwicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 1997 14:24:17 -0400
I wonder if MF would take this seriously.

Since so much of MF's ferret revenues come from ferrets sold as pets, maybe
they could be convinced to start tracking the health of the ferrets they
sell in the following ways.

First, it's not so hard to keep track of 'batch numbers,' ie, what ferrets
go to what stores, and what breeders/litters those ferrets came from.  In
fact, I'd be surprised if they're not keeping data like that already.

Anyway, with ferret 'batches' sold at pet stores, you'd get a pamphlet
stamped with the batch number (and date) that included a survey and could be
re-folded into an envelope.  Pre-addressed, US bulk mail no stamp required,
etc.  The survey questionnaire would be already identified with number and
the questions could presumably be answered and sent back after X number of
years of owning a MF ferret.  Questions like:

Age of ferret at time of survey return:
Purchase location:
Medical problems (or lack thereof) to date:
Veterinarian of the ferret:
Your contact information:

Very simple, it could even be a postcard.

I'm going to send them that information on Friday when she passes away;
hopefully they'll be interested.  The points of failure in this idea would
be 1) MF's interest in tracking the info; ie, why would they care after they
get the revenue?  2) Pet stores complying with handing out the correct cards
with the correct ferrets 3) Owner response.

If MF could be made to believe that ferret owners honestly care about the
longevity and health of the ferrets bought from MF and that owners will not
buy from MF in the future based on suspect quality of the animal, they might
be convinced to pay attention and start collecting statistics.

Melissa

 ___ Melissa Litwicki __ [log in to unmask] ___
 By the whole newsgroup devoted tennis showing
     it after scarfing fork and laughters