From:
Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 1997 09:18:08 -0400
Just a quick note about the correspondance to Governor Engler.  I don't know
if this is relevant as I am writing it at 9 AM on Monday, and you all will
be reading it on Tuesday when Kodo may not be here anymore.

Anyway, Governor Engler does not have the power to issue a stay of execution
for a condemned human because we do not have the death penalty in Michigan.
Although I think it is important to keep him informed on these subjects, it
may very well be that he does not have the authority to overturn this
ruling, and if he did it wouldn't have anything to do with his powers
regarding criminal cases.  This is not a criminal decision.  I believe it
properly belongs in the civil realm.

Also, to those threatening to boycott Michigan vacations and cars...it's a
nice sentiment, but it's an issue of so little interest to the general
public that it could not possibly have a real economic impact on profits in
the Michigan tourism and auto industry.  The only real effect would be that
you might miss out on a favorite vacation or a good deal on a car.

-Catherine