From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 1997 09:50:51 -0500
First of all, Imrab was rigorously tested on ferrets and IS USDA
approved-licensed for use in 6 species including the ferret.  I'm sure Mass
ferreteers have the needed paperwork to verify this and I'm sure they will
be more than happy to help you.

Second - You'll need to find out if ferrets are specifically listed as
wildlife or just a grey area and if they are listed as wildlife they would
probably fall under the control of Fish and Game or Wildlife and Parks.
Your local library should have your state statutes books and you can look up
and copy the needed statutes.  Call each state dept and pin them down on
which one controls the ferret.

Pin them down.  If there isn't a state statute then SOMEONE is putting
ferrets where THEY think they should be.  Find that SOMEONE and find out
WHY.  (Don't get discouraged, this is a lengthy investigative process)

I'll be happy to help thoughout this process.  If there is anything you need
please let me know.

Oh and please anyone that hears from their state dept that they are
following ACIP recommendations LET ME KNOW.  The ACIP Recs have not been
revised since 1991 and at that time they took the info out of the 90
compendium of animal rabies control which still listed ferrets incorrectly
and recommended automatic kill and test.

Hugs to all. tle