From:
Lisa Sims <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 1997 23:55:47 -0400
Hi
A week since Loki ( 8 week old male) has joined our family.  A couple of
days ago we were outside as I was putting in a new garden.  Meggie( 3 year
old female) introduced Loki to the wonder of leaves that I had spread down
before putting on the top soil.  They had so much fun dipping and diving
that I almost feel guilty covering them up.  The ferret run I put togther is
close enough so that the furries can play in the garden.  Last year Meggie
had a wonderful time rolling in the plants including mints.  ( It really
does work for fleas).

As I write this the two furballs are playing attack mom's feet and then dive
under the couch.

We have an eight year old dog Harry who gets along great with Meggie.  We
are slowly introducing Loki to him.  Harry justs looks at us with the face
that says" Not another one!"

One day a couple of weeks ago(before Loki) Harry was on his dog run and
Meggie on her ferret run, close enough to see one another but not enough to
tangle.  A neighbor of ours walked by and Harry sat on his hunches and began
to bark the warning of how dare you come near my mom.  There was meg
standing upon her her back legs as if to say, I right beside ya HArry, Don't
worry no-ones hurting our mom.

A quick note about keeping ferrets with small animals we have three birds
and a g. Pig.  Our furballs are never allowed near them, for everyone's
sanity.

One thing I have noticed about Meggie since Loki's arrival.  She has always
been very quiet, but since his arrival has become quite vocal.  I have been
giving her extra attention and always take her out of the cage first to
play, after spending about 10 minutes with her I take Loki out.  I will cut
down on the time she has out first, so that eventually both will come out of
the cage at the same time.  Due to the older mobile home we live in there
are just to many ways that they could get hurt so playtime is monitered.

I live in New Hampshire where owing a ferret was legalized 3 years
ago.Meggie and now Loki travel with me to alot of interesting places and
always cause quite a stir.  I allow people to pet and handle Meggie who is
as gentle as a baby.  Loki is STILL learning that fingers are not for biting
so I don't let others handle him.  Hints would be appreciated, I have tried
bitter apple, but both babies like to lick me including hands and I so I
don't want him to get the message that mom's hands are icky, just not ok to
bite.

I love my darlings and it saddens me to read about others loss of thier
wonderful babies.  It also makes me appreciate everyday I have with them.

I have been fortunate that Meggie has been healthy since I got her, except
the one time when she was playing on the couch and I went to get a cup of
coffee.  I did not see her climb under the rug and stepped on her.  Panic
ensued as she just laid on my husbands lap.  Positive that I had broken her
back I quickly called the vet and rushed her in.  What a relief it was to
learn that she was ok but would be sore for a couple of days.  It sure
taught me an important lesson to pay attention to where I was walking.

/Lysa