From:
Lee McKee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Aug 1997 14:44:19 +0400
An article in Saturday's Boston Globe, by Vicki Croke, reports that this
is a "big year" for skunks in Massachusetts, population-wise -- something to
which Francine Doomsdottir and Errata Stigmata can attest.

Earlier this spring, we were walking with double-leash down the street.  I
like the double-leash since they must negotiate with each other on where to
go, instead of tangling up my legs.  Anyway, as we passed some parked cars,
Errata stopped short in front of Francine, knocking her to her behind.

Before us was a black and white monster, with a Yoplait container firmly
over her head.  I looked down, and the now-fluffed up ferrets were in
perfect stasis: Errata straining at one end of the leash toward me, pleading
to be picked up; Francine straining at the other end toward the skunk,
pawing the air, chuckling maniacally.

We were too far away for me to run the ferrets back to the house and hope
that the skunk would not disappear to certain death from starvation or a
speeding car.  That was the last coherent thought I had before I heaved the
ferrets, leash and all, into a parked car that had its windows rolled down.

The first time that I yanked on the container, I thought I had broken the
skunk's neck.  But she soon regained her feet and waved her Yoplait head, as
if trying to sniff the air.  I tried again with both hands, and this time
the container popped off and both skunk and I were on our behinds, facing
each other.  I stayed very still while she rolled to her feet, shook
herself, and ambled away.

I leaned into the car, hoping the cops wouldn't drive by.  I didn't feel
capable of explaining anything that I was doing.  Poor Errata was bound to
the gearshift with the leash, like the heroine in a bad melodrama.  I fished
Francine from under the driver's seat, and removed the perforated and pulped
car registration from her mouth.

So anyway, reporter Croke cites an article in the current Journal of
Mammology, proposing reclassification of skunks from family Mustelidae to
their own family Mephitidae (from the Latin for "noxious gas"): "DNA
comparison testing shows sharp differences between skunks and the ... weasel
family with which they were first classified 150 years ago."

Those of us working on rabies quarantine should take note of this.  The
presence of skunks in the family tree has been used to muddy the waters of
this issue.  Mitochondria should beat Morphology any day.

-- Lee