From:
Melissa Litwicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 1997 00:28:16 -0400
Someone wrote about Midwest cages potentially being dangerous.  An easy and
cheap way to make them more secure is, first, not to get the ferret kind at
all, but to get the cat version, which comes with two carpeted shelves.
Second, use a tape measure and have a friend who's a handy carpenter cut
planks to match the breadth of the cage - 2 ft.  The planks can be as wide
as you want.  I use 1/2" plywood cut into 2ft by 1 ft pieces.  Third, go to
the hardware stores and buy those question-mark shaped screws - the sort
with a hook on one end and a screw on the other - and screw two into each
end of the plank.  Voila, you have a new shelf.  I usually sand down the
planks and I'm currently in the process of making canvas covers for them,
but wood is usually 'grippable' by the ferrets.  Also, i have a minimum of
five shelves per midwest cage, and it's no further than 8"-10" height
between shelves.  There's a picture on my web page:
http://www.us.itd.umich.edu/~squirty/hp/pets/cage.jpg -
nobody can fall very far.

Melissa

 ___ Melissa Litwicki __ [log in to unmask] ___
 By the whole newsgroup devoted tennis showing
     it after scarfing fork and laughters