From:
Karen Daigneault <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 1997 19:34:20 -0700
Altho I know this may sound ridiculous to many, (yeah, Karen, were you BORN
YESTERDAY????) I would like to make a STATEMENT on talking to your ferrets!
DO IT, DO IT, DO IT!!!!!!  Not just cooing, whatnot, but actual talking.  In
a post to me about Morrow it was mentioned to me....and altho I have always
talked to ALL of my animals as they were "hooman" (I am a bit strange to my
friends that do not hold animals as priceless as I), there are times where I
am caught up in what I'm doing (EAT, MORROW, please EAT!  - thoughts)

For the rest of my days, I will NEVER forget Morrow's face as I held her in
front of mine, telling her that she needed to eat to get better, that I
loved her so very, very much, that people from all over were concerned about
her, and that people were telling her to FIGHT!  She stared (ferret
attention span leaves alot to be desired at times) for longer then even my
hooman daughter listens when interested, intently at my face, my lips
moving, for the entire time I was talking.  I will swear to anyone that
counters, that Morrow was totally aware of what I was saying.  There was
recognition in her eyes.....

and Steve,
>Can anyone offer advice on socializing ferrets and puppies?  In particular,
>I have a german shepherd puppy that I'd like to try and get to play nice
>with the two ferts.

I have a yellow lab, a deer tick hound a mini italian greyhound and a mini
doxie.  The mini grey and doxie were both introduced to fuzzies who were
here first.  To say the least, the mini greyhound believes he's a fert and
when he first came home I was horrified to see the way he played with them.
Constantly following them around with a newspaper if things got too rough in
my opinion, swat~!  Only to be reprimanded by the ferts who were having an
absolute blast!  Supervision, at first, is the key, without a doubt!  My
suggestion would be to actually sit down in the room and watch, unless of
course your pup means business and is growling, obviously upset and is after
a "kill".  Make sure that he can *smell* their cages, surroundings, etc., so
he can incorporate them as just a part of "the house" and to take into
account that they belong there as well as he.  Lots of attention too, to
him, to avoid jealousy.

>I'd like to have them all able to play together nicely,

My two "biggies" do not play with the ferts at all....only the pups and to
"hoomans" they do not look like they are playing nice!  Big dogs come in,
lay down and let the ferts run all over their bodies...unless of course, one
fuzzie decides to nip.  Then, they are "told" about it, get the message and
move on.

> I'm hoping that as the pup ages, he'll start to calm down a bit and won't
>nip at the ferts

The question is, is he nipping for play or nipping to hurt?  Dogs *do* hold
their bites when they are playing...

Good luck!
Karen & the ever loving 6