From:
"David J. Ellis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jun 1997 17:47:06 -0400
>From:    Margaret Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
My personal opinions follow...

>Subject: National Ferret Organization
>Now, down to questions.
>
>Would you like the organization to be pure educational and publicity related
>or do you feel it should be directly involved with local politics?

Educations, publicity _AND_ politics.  A major issue is the recognition of
the domestic ferret as a legitimate and non threating family pet.  There are
laws that need to be passed, mis-guided laws that need changing, and a
variety of inconsistent regulations at state and local levels.  A national
organization must be prepared to address the legal/political issues at all
levels.  Personally, I don't think regulation of pets should be a federal
issue but there are national advisory and regulatory bodies (such as CDC)
who may figure in any activity.

>Would you want the group to be solely a national group, or also have
>regional and/or state groups, which could also work independently of a
>national organization?

Why don't we first figure out if we can find the leadership and staff to
start a national group.  If it gets sufficiently large, we can address
regional or state level sub-groups at such time.

>Should the group involve itself with any shows of its own or of any other
>group's?

Personally speaking - no.  We already have groups handling that.  Suggest
you refer back to Bob C.'s original posting for a good starting set of
interests.  If we start a new organization lets not cripple it by taking on
more than is necessary in the early days.

>Would you like the group to be involved with funding of any kind for any
>individual or shelter?

No.  Again this is an initial situation.  If in the future such a national
group became large enough and wealthy enough that it wanted to consider that
then we could do so at that time.  Initially stay focussed on the areas that
are _NOT_ being addressed nationally by other groups.