From:
Kymberlie Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 1997 02:52:47 -0400
Hello all:

I had a thought tonight, and I am wondering if it will work and hold up in
the event of another Kodo incident.

My ferrets are exposed to the public regularly.  Not only do friends visit
here, but with running a shelter I am put in the position of having to have
other people handle my ferrets.  Once in the past, someone who adopted a
ferret from me tried to force the killing and testing of the ferret after he
bit her daughter.  It turned out well, but I'm so worried now after this
Kodo thing that I think I have an idea.

Would it work if I require *every person* who visits the shelter to sign a
release form before seeing the ferrets, stating that they understand that
the ferrets in the shelter are up to date on all rabies vaccinations, and
that in the event that a ferret in my care nips them they release all right
to notify animal control and demand the execution of my ferrets?  I don't
know if I stated that properly, but I think you all get the idea.

What my thoughts here are this: someone visits the shelter. Upon entry, and
before entering the ferret room, the person is told that the ferrets are up
to date on all required shots and they are in good health. I give a brief
spiel about the importance of rabies vaccinations, tell about Kodo's case
and others, and explain the rabies shed study concept to shed some light on
why ferrets are killed and tested. I then tell them that while the ferrets
are not likely to bite, ferrets are like kittens and puppies in that they
need to understand that playful nipping is not acceptable behavior.
However, sometimes accidents do happen, and that before I can let the
visitor handle any ferrets they must sign a release stating that they will
not attempt to have any of my ferrets put to sleep in the event of a nip.

Before I get any e-mails about this, relax: I will NOT state any of this in
such a manner as to portray ferrets as vicious rabies carrying critters.  It
will, in fact be the complete opposite; it will serve to promote the image
of the ferret and to help spread the word about rabies vaccines and the
reasons that baby ferrets bite.

My question is this: even if someone signs this release, what would happen
if they still called animal control after a bite?  Even though the person
promises not to pursue the execution of the animal, it seems as though
animal control wouldn't recognize this waiver.  Would the release be
legal???  PLEASE can someone tell me if this would work, especially lawyers
out there or if you know a lawyer can you ask?  This would be a very
valuable thing for ferret shelters everywhere to do if it would hold up.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Kymberlie Becker
Director, Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association
"Forget Puppy Love...There's nothing Greater than Ferret Love!" TM
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/ferretlady