From:
Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 1997 10:13:06 -0400
First:  Goodbye Meltdown, we will miss you.

It was asked what the consequences are of not descenting your ferret.  It is
true that most of the time they won't spray unless they are frightened.  We
have two ferrets with scent glands.  I've only known Mithril to spray maybe
once or twice.  I'm not sure because I'm pretty quick to blame it on
Mortimer.  Now, Mortimer is another story.  He sprays in his sleep
frequently.  When he gets real excited playing he sprays.  Sometimes all it
takes is a delicious treat or a loud noise and, you guessed it, poof.

BUT, I'm going to speak out against the argument that leaving the scent
glands intact is okay "because they never use them anyway." I'm going one
better and saying you can live with it either way.  I'm so used to
Mortimer's little incontinence problem, I can't imagine a car ride without
the reassuring asphalt-on-a-hot-day smell gently rising from the kitty
carrier (full 'o sleeping woozles).  The smell dissipates instantly, and
it's nothing like the offensive smells produced by most humans or dogs (I'm
a new dog owner and peeeee-yu, does she stink sometimes).  Also, Mortimer's
personal odor is very mild, the same as any neutered ferret.  Actually, I'm
one of those weirdos who like the smell of skunk, so I love to put my nose
right up to the ferret's faces and inhale deeply to get that skunky musky
smell, but that's what you have to do to smell anything.  (For those who
have their first kit at home--the kits stink a lot worse than the adults, it
will get better).

Mortimer is very rare!  I have yet to hear of another ferret on the FML or
elsewhere who sprays recreationally.

To those who have already descented and are getting flak (sorry Kat L.), try
not to pay attention to the flames.  The deed is done and your little guys
will be fine after having a sore bottom for a couple of days.  Next time,
you can save yourself the $80 (or whatever), but don't sweat it this time.
My one fully descented ferret is a happy weasel.

-Catherine

P.S.  Sebastian's tail smells exactly like grape soda.  Anyone else?