Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 9 Aug 1997 16:54:05 -0400
From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
>Do you have a "waiting list" of kit requests before you breed?

Usually, or I start looking for good homes as soon as the litter is born.  I
won't breed the next jill (false her instead) if I have kits still looking
for homes when she comes into season.

>Do you space the litters throughout the year (avoid having several females
raising kits at the same time)?

Since I only bred 2-3 litters a year, I just let the jills tell me when they
were ready.  Some hobby breeders with double digit jills do breed at least
two jills at a time to plan for a serogut (SP?) mother incase something goes
wrong with a jill.  It still does not work out that way even with the best
plans, but it is nice to know the other breeders in your area so you can
take newborns to another jill if necessary.

BTW, I have a small breeder's guide book available for a small fee - if
interested, please e-mail me privately.  It gives the pros and cons of
breeding, some horror stories, and then steps to take to make the litter as
healthy as possible if nothing does go wrong.

Pamela Troutman Grant