From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jun 1997 18:05:05 -0500
Some VERY IMPORTANT things have been written so far about setting up a
national organization, but at this point we all (here as well as the other
organizations) look like Medusa with each snake head pulling separately.

First off,  BOB, this is your baby, but I know very well from your current
scedule that you really lack the time to do the scud work.

I am willing to do the scud work to put together possible goals and foci,
possible structure ideas, and who is nominated for the committee to design
the constitution, organization, and actual aim of the organization.  There
have already been some nominations.  That would ALL be posted here after
being collected as well as being sent to any clubs I can contact for
revisions in case I miss anything or some folks nominated will not run.
What I am offering to do would NOT make ANY final decisions, but just
compile the basics so that the committee can then be sought and THEY can
work TOGETHER to put together what THEY think is best.  The last thing
anyone needs is anyone trying to play power-vampire with this effort, and
that includes me.

Like many others here I agree STRONGLY that this original group should be
kept small but I doubt it CAN be kept as small as 9 to 12, simply because
any organization which is going to get the cooperation of other
organizations MUST not thumb noses at those groups; I'd HOPE for nothing
above 25 members representing ALL the major players so that there is optimal
representation for ferret owners of all ilk.  (Especially loved Bob's and
Rob's posts and their idea and wise points, but I am 1 and 1/2 days behind
on reading so expect there are probably many other interesting and useful
ideas on how to do this out there.) Here is what I personally would like to
see as the foci:
1. FACILITATE COMMUNICATION between existing organizations so that they can
perform their very important functions more easily and economically (Get
more bang for each ferret buck!),
2. EDUCATE THE GENERAL PUBLIC about the actual nature of ferrets and actual
FACTS about such tricky issues as rabies, shedding studies, and the
well-tested vaccine,
3. WHEN THE OWNERS INVOLVED IN A TRICKY SITUATION ASK FOR HELP, OR WHEN
ANOTHER ORGANIZATION DOES SO consider whether this organization can or
should help and then do so when appropriate.  (For instance, the California
groups are well designed at this point and some other states have quiet
advances going on behind the scenes toward future quarantine periods, but
either of these endeavors could be JEOPARDIZED if someone comes bulldozing
in and upsets the wrong people thus causing critical support to be lost,
especially in states/situations where political schmoozing is the most
efficient way to help the fuzzies.)

Smaller stuff can wait.

Knowing as many folks in the ferret scene for as many years as I have, I
doubt that it would make ANY sense to have a president or any type of
figurehead.  Rather a moderator/compromise seeker who votes ONLY when a
tie-breaker is needed would prevent ruffled feathers.  Having already seen a
BIG ferret organization destroyed by a "leader" who spoke "for" the group
without the approval of most, and a condo organization sued because of a
president who did the same I think there would need to be a STRICT by-law
(Lawyers, is this the correct term here?) that NO ONE would speak FOR the
organization, or even with it's name represented UNLESS the issue had
already come up for vote and received majority approval.  (Of course, people
could still speak AS individuals.) No one will be happy all the time, but I
think something similar to this would mean most would be happy the majority
of the time.

Now, BOB, since this IS your baby, do you want me to continue to collect
names nominated?  If so, could ANYONE (SHEBA, DANNY, PAM, PAM, BILL, BILL,
ANNE, MEG, OTHERS) PLEASE, send me the ADDRESSES ( e-mail and physical ) of
ANY ferret organizations you know about so that we can see which ones have
members willing to be involved in such an effort?

Sukie Davis Crandall
172 Jamestown Road
Basking Ridge, N.J. 07920
1-908-580-0506