From:
Jim Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 1997 20:12:31 -0400
Bob:

Go to the media.  Tell them we believe Kodo may have been killed before the
stay was lifted (like when they supposedly moved him to an undisclosed
location).  We want them to prove he wasn't.  When was the last time you or
your vet saw him?

Everyone reading this, watch the papers for dog/cat bite incidents, cut them
out and send copies of them to your local animal control, local and State
Health Officials, your Governor and your State and National Legislators.

It's time to flood animal control and the health department with faxes,
e-mail etc.  Send messages of outrage, but no threats.  According to Beth,
Bay County Animal Control doesn't have a fax machine, but mosquito control
next door does (517-894-0526) and accepts faxes for them.  Let's keep them
busy, busy, busy.  Be sure to send a cover page with attn: Animal Control.

Vernice Davis Anthony is the Director of Michigan Dept.  of Public Health,
at 3423 Martin Luther King, Blvd, PO Box 30195, Lansing Michigan 48909.  Her
phone is 517-335-8024 and fax is 517-335-9615.  Kennth R. Wilcox, Jr is the
State Epidemiologist.  His phone number is 517-335-8900 and fax is
517-335-8560.  Mary Grace Stobiersky can be reached on 517-335-8165, George
R. Anderson on 517-335-8063, and Byron S.  Berlin on 517-335-8050.  Someone
out there get us the fax numbers for these last three State Public Health
Officials, and the Bay County Health Officials.  I have many choice words
for them.

Also get the fax numbers for Judge Richard Allen Griffin of the Michigan
Court of Appeals and Justices Marilyn Kelly and Elizabeth A.  Weaver of the
Michigan Supreme Court so that we can convey our heartfelt appreciation to
them.  They appear to be the only Michigan jurists who understand that
Animal Control and the Health Department did not follow the mandates of
Michigan Law.

Don't let this issue drop or Kodo will have died in vain.  People across the
United States, get your legislatures started on making changes before
another state has another sacrifice.  Now is the time!!!

If we have learned one thing, it's that going by the letter of the law will
not save your ferret.  Maryland had its sacrifice in Rasha after 31 days.
Michigan had its sacrifice in Kodo after 41 days, both ridiculous incidents.

If I thought my ferret was a threat to someone's life, I'd turn it over.
But for something as ridiculous as these two situations, no.  I would demand
a Court Order and while they were getting it, the ferret would disappear.
If they come with a Court Order, close the door in their face.  Get in the
car with your ferrets and drive off.  Take your fine and jail sentence.  I
will rot in jail before anyone puts my ferret through what Kodo went
through.

Know your rights.

Bob, I hope you're going to follow through with the law suits.  I hope also
you follow through with obtaining the disclosure of expenses incurred by the
State on this case.  I'm sure you still have debts to be paid.  Give us an
update and people out there, dig deep.  Kodo is everyone's ferret.

Carol Scott