From:
Tom Hendricks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 1997 08:21:46 -0400
This message is sent on behalf of Wanda Larkin, Secretary of the Baltimore
Ferret Club:

A "gathering permit" has been obtained for a demonstration outside of the
Maryland state capital in Annapolis, MD for this coming Saturday, June
7,1997 between 12 Noon and 1 PM, to show our concern over Michigan's
handling of the ferret, Kodo.  Kodo is being put to death in order to be
tested for Rabies, because an older gentleman inadvertantly bumped his hand
into Kodo's teeth causing a small puncture wound to the skin.  Although
having no exposure to rabies, the Michigan Animal Control employees siezed
Kodo, and have insisted on testing him for rabies, despite a risk assessment
showing it is unnecessary.  Such testing is fatal to the animal, because
they must be put to death in order to be tested.  A quarantine period should
have been sufficient in this case.  Nevertheless, without some type of
special effort by the State's Governor, Kodo will be put to death Monday,
June 9,1997 at 3 PM or shortly thereafter.

We are asking any interested parties, to please show up, and bring signs
(signs are allowed, but must be hand-held only, and not on sticks), pet
ferrets, or anything else that might be helpful in support of Kodo.
[Perhaps asking our Governor, Governor Glendening to call Michigan's
governor on Kodo's behalf, might be in order.]

Further information can be obtained from Wanda Larkin:
mailto:[log in to unmask]

Tom Hendricks, mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.baltoferret.com/bfc000.htm