From:
Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 May 1997 10:32:12 -0400
Hello Susie,
I did NOT mean to imply that Galaxy-D is used more frequently THAN Fervac-D,
just the use as of late has been more than in the past!  The point I REALLY
wanted to make is that IF folks want an alternative canine distemper vaccine
the thing to do is to write and get the manufacturers to do the rating and
continue it's production.

So sorry to hear of Caspers loss.  I have heard though not seen
documentation of ferrets vaccinated with Fervac-D developing hind end
paralysis.  Now please read that I have heard, not read substantiating
veterinary documents so don't jump on me.  It may have happened with other
distemper vaccines as well, I have just not heard of this often.

In our imperfect world both human and animals drug manufacturers may have (
I sated MAY) production problems from time to time.  Quality control in
large manufacturing companies deal with this all the time.  It is just most
unfortunate when the products effect the quality of life-- whether it is
human or animal.  That is the reality of our society.

The multiple variant vaccines are the point I brought up-- mind you NOT that
I would use them, they are speculative not proven, but I would not vaccinate
from a lay persons point of view for something that is not necessary.  Why
expose the animal ( whatever animal) to a possible reaction for not purpose
at all.  This is why I urge folks to write to Schering-Plough and urge them
to continue the production of the singular canine distemper vaccine.

Yes, I do remember the chat we had at HSUS, and I agree with the points that
many vets make against the multiple variant vaccines.  I also think there
should be more than one alternative to vaccines, but we need the vaccine
rated to be accepted.  Our world is not a simple world.  Testing,
documenting, then accepting....but this is how we regulate things, and
hopefully for the good of the animals, man and not the manufacturers.  I
hope this message does not sound to doll, I have had a long work weekend and
my faculties are slow to function.

I will keep your quest for documentation in mind, and as I receive it I will
pass it along.  I hope you are doing well, and hope to get to see you again
soon.

Sincerely,
Alicia