From:
JESSI BROWN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 20:21:22 -0500
Just wanted to share a little of what I picked up in my many years of
breeding Netherland Dwarf rabbits (I must admit that I know nothing about
ferret genetics, though I'm sure there's parallels).  Albinism is very, very
common in all breeds of rabbits, and in fact the white ones tend to be the
healthiest and most prolific, not at all degenerate or inbred.  The albino
gene is located at a separate locus than most other color genes, and is
recessive to the other three alleles present there (responsible for agouti,
black-and-tan, and solid coloring).  Curiously enough, there is also a
recognized blue-eyed white variety - a snow-white rabbit with striking
bright blue eyes.  This is not an albino, as it does have pigment, and when
a blue-eyed white is crossed with the ruby-eyed white (the rabbit name for
albino) you get patch-marked bunnies (somewhat like the Dutch rabbit color
pattern).  Just thought someone might find this comparision interesting!

        ---Jessi
          --Kindjal (gee, I kinda look like one of those
            Siamese Sable rabbits...)
          --Chani (duhhh, what's a rabbit?)