From:
"D.J. & Liz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 21:23:39 -0400
Hi EVeryone,

I posted a while back about my blind ferret Jezebel who walked funny
(reminded me of muscular distrophy).  Well for the past three days when i
wake her up in the morning she sounds like she has fluid in her lungs..she
gurgles really LOUD and low and tries to cough something up but becomes
exhausted in doing so.  She's eating, pooping and playing normal, but she
gets tired quicker.

Previously my other mean ferret (whom she lives with) had what i thought was
pneumonia which i treated him for and he appeared to have fluid in his lungs
which i did NOT treat becuase he wasn't actually mine and I had no money.
Well these two live together and the mean ferret still has teh occasional
fluid filled cough.  My other three ferrets which are housed separately are
fine.

K...i took Jezebel to the vet yesterday becuase this cough was REALLY
bothering me.  WHen i posted on the FML about her walking funny MOST people
responded that it sounded like insulinoma even though she is only 4 months
old.  I mentioned to the vet about her funny walk and placed her on the
floor so he could see her...well his immediate reaction was NOT good.  He
said she APPEARS to have a neurological problem (retardation??) which may
also have something to do with her blindness.  Also he thinks she didn't
fully develop or developed abnormally which causes her to walk EXTREMEMLY
funny.  As for her fluidy cough...we listened to her chest and we COULD NOT
hear anything abnormal through the stethescope, but we COULD hear it
externally with our ears.  I mentioned the insulinoma to him and he would
like to know how this causes a ferret's walking to be abnormal,which is
where all you ferret people come in... especially all you ferret experts or
vets..i really need help on this one..he is willing to listen to and take
into consideration ANYTHING you can say.

He isn't sure exactly WHAT is causing her fluidy coughing...we both thought
of possible canine distemper, but she isnt showing any other symptoms...he
wants to treat her for canine bronchial pneumonia, but is reading up on the
drugs first.  Right now she is on Amoxil, 1 ml, three times daily.  He is
not sure if it'll work (something to do with gram positives) and is looking
into other optional drugs which he wants to make sure are safe first.  SHe
hasn't had her distemper booster OR rabies vaccine yet...the Doctor feels
she is too stressed for that right now.  He wants to take full body x-rays
as he is VERY interested to see what condition her lungs are in and also he
is curious to see exactly what her spine looks like.  This Doctor is
WONDERFUL!!  I respect him 100%!  He took his time with me (unlike the other
vets i work with who just consider me as an employee and not a client).  He
welcomes ANY information, suggestions and opinions ANY of you may pass on.

I would REALY appreciate it if the ferret professionals on the FML could
respond to me privately...i want to know what is wrong with my Jezebel.
Thanks for your time.

--

Elizabeth Luc
http://www.norlink.net/~state