From:
Regina Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Apr 1997 17:01:03 -0400
I don't breed ferrets but I've been following the genetics discussion with
great interest.  If a voice from the back of the room might be permitted to
ask a question or two-- If all ferrets were originally sable, how did
albinos become so widespread?  I can understand a few popping up, and I can
accept the gene being dominant, but why are there so many of them today?
Other animal species have the occasional albino, but not in great numbers
(well, except maybe pet rats?).  Were albinos specifically bred for in
previous years?  I can see how it would be easier to find a white ferret
than a brown one while hunting.  Oh, and according to Chuck and Fox Morton's
book, there are extremely few true albinos among ferrets, and plenty of REW,
but then they also support the Egypt origin, which seems to have been pretty
well laid to rest here.  Anyway, just thought I'd ask; maybe thinking about
the origin of albinos/REW would help in figuring out how the genetic
transmission works.

Regina
and Cully and Amelia too