From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 1997 10:36:06 -0500
The bottom line is that whether the animal is herbivore, carnivore or
omnivore if Public Health is concerned with the health and safety of the
individual that was bitten - rabies should be a consideration.  All warm
blooded animals can contract rabies.

Rabid cows can be eaten if they are slaughtered within 6 months.  How many
rabid cows have we eaten?  Who knows.  Bats feed on the area right about the
hooves.  Not all bats are rabid, a low percentage actually.

Let's see.  We have a housebound supervised ferret and an unsupervised
outside in a pasture horse.  The horse is considered a high cost animal yet
it has the realistic potential to be EXPOSED to a rabid animal.  And even if
the horse is vaccinate - no vaccine is 100%.

Hmmm... which one would I be more concerned with if I was bitten???

Obviously not the same one Public Health seems to be concerned with.  So is
PH really concerned with human health or just killing ferrets?  That is the
million dollar question.

(Don't worry.  I love all animals and would never put one in a life
threatening situation.  A few years ago I was bitten severely on the side of
my neck by a large stray dog at an animal sanctuary.  The dog was not
believed to have been vaccinated and was housed outside in a field.  The
bite was rather severe but I wouldn't go to the doctor in fear of what would
happen to the dog.  Who knows maybe I'M rabid.  :-))

Hugs. tle