From:
Jackie Hawley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Sep 1997 22:59:31 -0700
Dear Ferret Lovers,

This is an urgent plea for funds to buy the ferrets away from a breeder in
Illinois.  The ones that have not died from heat stroke will be facing
extreme cold very soon.

To date $220.00 has been received and more than $370.00 has been spent.  To
those that have sent funds, a very big thank you.  Pam V., your sleep sacks
and letter were beautiful.  15 pounds of Totally Ferret has been gone
through already!

Efforts to shut this breeder down has not gone well because there has not
been anyone else to visit this guy and file a complaint.  To save the little
ones there now, the only way is to buy them.  Yes, it may happen again next
year.  We'll have to deal with it when the time comes but the concern is
now...

Each person sending in at least $25.00 may choose a name for one of the
rescues.  One has already been named "Blondie" in honor of Pam's Blondie who
lost her little one last weekend.

Funds to purchase the ferrets should be sent to:

Lynda Reid
Ferret Family Services
105 S. Drake
Manhattan, KS  66503

Cages are needed even if they are loaners and will be returned as soon as
possible.  The fastest and least expensive shipping is by Greyhound Bus to
Belleville, IL with Margaret's name and address.  Totally Ferret and Iams
would be very welcome also.  Please send supplies to:

Margaret Szelmeczka
56 Rock Springs Estates
O'Fallon, IL  62269

I have the good fortune of having an eight week old female from this
*breeder* being sent to me.  On arrival six days ago, according to the vet
health certificate, she weighed 8 ounces.  She was extremely thin, very
little hair, a black tooth, dry skin and terrified of everything.  One eye
is slightly smaller than the other.  She would scream if you tried to pick
her up.  It hasn't taken long with good food, duck soup and TLC for her to
war dance and give kisses.  Today for the second time she's had a bad
coughing, sneezing, choking episode.  Snuggles is so adorable, loving and
has immediately wrapped me around her little white toes.  It's been just
wonderful seeing her accomplish so many *firsts* that she never had a chance
before from being cooped up in a tiny cage.

There had been some request for breeding stock.  These ferrets are not
"breeding quality" and none will be sent out for this purpose.  Several
minor genetic defects have been observed.  These ferrets are "just pets" to
be loved, enjoyed and shown the comfort and security the same as for the
pets we now love.

We ask that those of you who have shelters and take some of these little
ones in, to please have your vet document their health/genetic defects and
send them to Dr. Bromwell and all the agencies listed at the bottom of this
post.

It's very hard thinking of the innocent ferrets sitting in the very small
cages, no room to move and no one to love them.  They certainly did not ask
to be there.  Unfortunately, the ones that have the authority to *do*
something have chosen to ignore these little ones and the dogs and the pot
bellied pigs.  If you know anyone in IL that may help with the dogs and p.b.
pigs, please contact them.

More detailed instructions on how you can help will be posted tomorrow or
Tuesday, but for now, please start funds and supplies going in.  All
*goodies* will go with the ferrets to their new home.

Listed below are the contacts to write/fax and call.

Let's give these ferrets a chance to be ferrets!!

Jackie

Governor Jim Edgar
207 Statehouse
Springfield, IL 62706
217-782-0244 (Voice)
217-524-4049 (Fax)
[log in to unmask] (Email)
http://www.state.il.us/ (Website)

Becky Doyle, Director
and Dr. Bromwell, head Veterinarian
Illinois Department of Agriculture
PO Box 19281
State Fairgrounds
Springfield, IL 62794-9281
217-782-2172 (Voice)
217-785-4505 (Fax)

Department of Natural Resources is the actual licensing agency.  Bromwell
reports conditions on shelter/breeding facilities to them with
recommendations for re-issuance of licenses.  They told me if they received
enough individual, written complaints, they would not renew Robbins'
license.  No petitions.  Best to send letters in your own words.

Department of Natural resources
Division of Wildlife Resources
Attn:  Jeff VerSteeg
Lincoln Tower Plaza
524 South 2nd Street
Springfield, IL  62701
(217) 782-6384 phone

APHIS
Troy Lynn ([log in to unmask]) suggested we contact APHIS to
register our dismay about the lethal abuses, such as keeping animals
crammed in small cages in sheds in up to 100 degree temperatures.  The
ferrets are dying from heat exposure and respiratory infections due to
unsanitary conditions.  While REAC doesn't license ferret breeders who
sell to the public there must be an agency that will enforce humane
treatment of ferrets (plus pot-bellied pigs and dogs).
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ac/
[log in to unmask] - probably to site administrator
Eastern Animal Care Region (includes IL)
USDA, APHIS, REAC
2568-A Riva Road, Suite 302
Annapolis, MD 21401
(410) 571-8692 phone

Please send copies of all correspondence to:

Robert Goldstein
Madison County Humane Society
P.O. Box 1
Edwardsville, IL  62025