From:
Sheri Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jun 1997 13:24:36 -0500
Hi all--

Well, it isn't exactly "tomorrow"--I guess I got sidetracked.  My vampire
novel is suddenly insisting to be worked on (a good thing) to the exclusion
of all else.  BTW--I started a cutsie thingy I hope to send to Harlequin
when it's done, and I've given the male protag's children a ferret.  Hey,
write what you know, right?  And the female protag a strong fear of weasily
animals.  Well, we have to have conflict, you know!

Anyway... back to Pepper's day out.  I cannot tell you how unnerving it was
at first to answer all the questions I was asked about ferrets.  I wasn't
prepared, I didn't have a spiel, so I had to wing it.  By the end of the
day, though, I was doing really well.  At a party later that night, my
boyfriend's boss commented how quiet I was.  (I usually talk constantly).  I
was exhausted.

The question asked most was:  Is that a ferret?
The 2nd most asked was:  Do they bite?

I'm standing there saying, well, that's like asking if cats bite or dogs
bite.  Some do, depending upon how they're treated and trained.  No, this
particular ferret doesn't bite, and his brother who's at home doesn't bite,
but don't assume every ferret will or won't.

It became very important to me to be truthful.  How do you answer the
question: Do they make good pets?

Yes, for me, they are good pets.  But even I have "off" days when they get
into more trouble than usual, or destroy something important to me, and I
find myself wishing they had a shorter life span.  (Momentary thought, that
quickly goes away as soon as I imagine something happening to them, BTW)

I told people to do their research before buying a ferret, even though I
want to say, YES!  Ferrets are the greatest animals in the world.  I don't
want someone getting one, and then getting upset because a hole got
scratched in their carpet and caging the little darling in the basement for
the rest of its life.  So instead I say, "They can be very good pets, but
they change the way you live.  They must have free run at least a couple of
times a day, you must ferret proof your house and learn to live with closed
doors, and gates, and remembering not to leave glasses of beverages lying
around.  And they need constant litter box reminding.  But they're happy
animals, they'll make you smile and laugh, and feel all warm and fuzzy
inside."

Many people who didn't talk to me directly commented to their companion,
"That's a ferret." Other's weren't as bright.  "Is that a mink?" "That's a
mink, isn't it?" "That's an ermine, but he should have turned brown by
now--white is the color of their winter coats." (I had to approach that one,
and explain that Pepper is a ferret, and he's ALWAYS white.)

First prize goes to the guy who ran up to me and said, "Wow!  A wolverine!
Where on earth did you get it?"

BUT--those were few and far between.  Most people knew he was a ferret.  On
the way to the car a man said to me, "Congratulations--I've been down here
(Canal Park) every day since Friday and you're the 1st person I've seen with
a ferret." He was very smart.  He asked what kind of animal Pepper was, and
I said, "He's a domesticated ferret." And the man said wryly, as if he knew
better, "As opposed to the non-domesticated variety?"

A-ha!  One of my pat-phrases might be giving people the wrong idea.  Good to
know.  I did tell over and over and over again that they DON'T live in the
wild.  "How do they live in the wild?" They don't.  Period.  You will not
see a ferret that was "caught" and tamed.  Rescued perhaps, not caught and
tamed.

Pepper liked the stepping stones over the fountain, but he didnt' like it
much when he fell in.  Whoops.  I swear I didnt' nudge him.  I would never
do such a thing. <g>

I was concerned about the heat--it was about 85.  We had a special place all
picked out with cool grass and trees for shade, and when he started panting
I'd go to the fountain and get him a little damp (not soaked, because I
didn't want to shock him with cold) then go to our shady spot and sit
quietly for awhile.  This is where he'd curl up for a nap.

We didn't get kicked out of Burger King, even though I was having one heck
of a time keeping him in his pouch.  I stood there pretending to be causual,
pretending NOT to be fighting with a large purse, and the girl behind the
counter laughed at me and said, "I saw what's in there.  You're not fooling
me."  But we got our food "to go" and they didn't make me wait outside.  We
ate at our shady spot and Pepper kept stealing my fries.  He ate two, and
hid the rest.  I asked him "Now when do you think you'll get back here to
get those?" But he didn't give me an answer.

It's Mort's turn next.

--Sheri