From:
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 1997 12:53:32 -0700
Apparently its our turn to be Alpha Chi's chosen target.

>From:    alphachi <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: MF and the ferrets that won't be dismissed
>Thanks to all of the individuals and organizations that wrote me in support
>of posts and MF "accountability".

We are so happy people choose to write to you as well as to us.  The FML
readership is split on this.  Many people are quite tired of the attacks on
Marshall Farms that have no solid data backing them.  Others are just as
worried for the safety of ferrets and are willing to act on suspicion.

>The author comes off as pompous and mean spirited.

Glad you like us so much.  Isn't calling us pompous and mean spirited
exactly what you profess to dislike?  Please explain the difference.

>Ask the people to pay for, conduct, and produce for MF research MF should
>be conducting to assure the safety and welfare of MF practices?

Its an unfortunate problem that those of the population who want affordable
ferrets keep the price down in pet stores, they in turn keep the price down
in the wholesale market.  Unless we can convince everyone that there is a
problem that they should pay for there won't be money to pay for this.

Put up or shut up.  You claim a problem then prove it.  It could just as
easily be said the declawing ferrets leads to neurosis.  Do you then have to
prove it doesn't?

We have ALWAYS been against early altering of ferrets.  But we can not state
that we KNOW it causes problems because we don't.  We can only state that
several leading vets believe that it does so we personally oppose it.

>Of course we couldn't escape the impostor ferret theme.

Just because you have not seen them does not mean they don't exist.  MF has
had such a problem with this that they added a dot tattoo to the foot.  Ask
Pam Grant about this.  She was one of the first to post about this on the
ferret digest.  It could be found searching the archives of the Ferret
Digest.  We have seen some of these non-Marshall ferrets with the two dot
tattoos.  Some are not even altered.  Some are malformed.  Some are not
purposely copying MF but others are.  Our other source of information was
Dr Judi Bell while she was still at Marshall Farms.

Issues Ms Grant discussed this are 1671, 1425, 1753, 1764
Others have discussed it as well see issue 1772, 1825
(one mentions a ferret picked out at a breeder in Kentucky with two dot
tattoos)
We mentioned it before in issue 1406

While checking the archives check issues 1824 and 1753 for other statements
that pet stores can't or won't track breeders.

Some of those cited above are vehemently opposed to our points of view so
its not a case of pointing out "our friends".  This is far from exhaustive -
just decided to stop looking at the zillions (yes exaggeration since
zillions isn't a real number) of references to tattoos in old Ferret
Digests.

>Its a worldwide conspiracy.

No just in some parts of the US.  Marshall Farms can not keep up with
demand.  Some stores for their own reasons ask for specifically their
ferrets.  This provides an opening for people to provide a "substitute".

>From:    alphachi <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: PET SUPERMARKET

You really seem to be on hyperdrive...

>PET SUPERMARKET(s) use Quality Tropical

So one subsidiary company uses another.  You clearly point out the name of
the middleman.  These are not the same company but different companies in a
corporation.  You have large shipments of ferrets with stacks of paperwork.
Who gets paid how much money to make sure that the correct one of the dozens
of identical looking paperwork bundles goes with the correct one of the
dozens of squirming ferret kits all together in a large crate.  It is not
one kit in a crate with paperwork taped to the side.  Its large bundles and
large crates.

If you work in corporate America you very quickly find even different
divisions of the same company have no idea whats going on up one floor in
the office building.

But you quoted yet did not respond to the point of the large scale systems.
You attempt to make fun of us rather than deal with the issues.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]